• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help i'm new, cliq xt help, favorite apps?

everkai90

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
Hello! I'm new =] I just got a motorola cliq xt! I love it soooo much it's my first android phone! What's your favorite apps for the cliq xt? I have one issue my boyfriend has a iphone I can get picture messages from him but he never gets mine when I send them but my other friends get them that dont have Iphones do you know why?

I read that the T-mobile network supports 1000K (1MB) picture messages, and so the Motorola Cliq XT will automatically resize larger pictures to conform to this limitation when you attach them to a message. Unfortunately, the ATT network is reported to still be limited to 300K messages, so your picture messages will not be delivered to your friend's iPhone on the ATT network, unless you can attach smaller pictures.

As for apps, I do not use a task manager or task killer, as some of these actually seemed to cause my Cliq XT to run slower and use more battery power. I personally have found that the Android OS manages apps just fine on its own.

As for my favorite apps, I continue to be amazed at the number of free, very useful, and well-designed apps that I am able to download and use regularly. I have settled on about 40 so far! A few of my free favorites in no particular order: AppBrain App Market (which allows easy management and sync of my phone's Apps through a simple web browser interface on my my PC); "Backflip Light" (which allows me to use the camera's LED flash as a bright flashlight); White Noise Lite (which acts as a "sound machine" for masking background noises with rain/beach/train and other soothing sounds when I sleep or study); Timeriffic (which allows me to schedule certain phone functions such as automatically putting the phone ringer in silent mode when I sleep); Bubble Level (a very accurate electronic level, handy for picture hanging, etc.); myRemote (allows me to remote-control my Home Theatre Media Center PC from my phone); Google Sky Map (I can finally identify all of the cool things I see in the night sky simply by pointing my phone at the sky); SIPDroid VoIP (my cell phone acts as an actual business telephone extension to our office SIP phone system over WiFi and 3G); Pandora Radio (customizable commercial-free streaming music anywhere); PicSay Photo Editor (powerful photo image editing right on the phone);TV.com (free streaming of TV shows for added entertainment on-the-go); GPS Essentials (a suite of powerful GPS/location tools including accurate electronic compass, customizable dashboard displaying speed/altitude/location/direction/etc., GPS mapping, waypoint management, view of GPS satellite location/strength, camera view of your target destination); ConvertDroid (every conceivable measurement conversion); KeepScreen (allows control over display screen sleeping, easily allowing automated control over which apps need to have screen stay on bright when in use); Alice (keeps me informed about tour dates and local performances by my favorite bands); OurGroceries (allows synchronized shopping lists between all family members so as to avoid duplicate or missed item purchases); Places Directory by Google (easily find and get details about local banks/bars/restaurants/shopping/gasoline/attractions and more); EStrongs File Explorer (for easy file management of my SD card); EasyTether Lite (useful for connection of my laptop PC to the internet via my phone's internet connection, admittedly a slow connection but very useful in rare instances when I must connect to the server at work over VPN).

Reactions: adien666
Upvote 0
The two the person at the TMo store suggested:
Save MMS to save pictures sent to you
TonePicker to use music as ring tones

I found and added:
Advanced Task Killer
T-Mobile Back Up
and an Uninstaller

I am currently shopping for an "Airplane Mode" widget/app and something to manage the contacts better... cuz I am tired of trying to figure out where I can make changes on my laptop that they sync well with my phone.

Upvote 0
Handcent for txt messaging - allows modifications to each person you text (txt tone, background, fonts, colors)
Shuffletone - select multiple tones to switch around for your ringtone so you are not dedicated to one for "everyone else"
Mabilo Ringtones - free ringtones
Flixter - movie ratings
Opera Mini - faster web browser
PicSay - modifying pictures with bubbles; a mini type of photoshop

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones