• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Im new to Android..and dont really understand! Help me pleeease!!

Having had a blackberry for years I decided I fancied a change and got the LG Optimus 2x...and Im a bit confused on a couple of things!!
1) How do I sync my hotmail email address to my phone?
2) How do I delete "Facebook for LG" to replace it with "Facebook for Android"?
Also, is there anyway to save battery? I have a task killer app which seems good but the battery still doesnt last a whole day!!
I think that is all for now haha..
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thankyoooou!!!! :D

Firstly, welcome to android! Here you can find all the answers you need!

So let's get started:

1. There should be an app on the phone called "Email." This is different from GMAIL that will also be on the phone. On the Email app, you should be able to chose the type of account you have, such as hotmail, and enter the correct info and you should be golden. To check that the account is syncing with the phone, you can go to Settings>Accounts & Sync and there will be a list of accounts that you have on the phone, and which ones are syncing.

2. If Facebook for LG was on it when you got the phone, you can't get rid of it. It's called bloatware, and carriers prohibit them from being deleted unless you are rooted. This sucks, we all know, but some phones have more of this crapware than others. However, just because you can't delete it, doesn't mean you have to use it. To use FB for Android instead, just download it from the market, and sign in on it. Again, go to Accounts & Sync in your settings, and make sure that the FB for LG account is NOT syncing, and the FB for Android one is, and you should be good to go!

3. Some people argue that task killers are more counter productive. Having done an objective experiment on it myself, I have to agree with them. Best ways to extend battery life are:
-turning wi-fi and GPS off when not using it (you can control these easily by using the "Power Control" widget.
-When you ARE in a wi-fi area, like home or work, use it. Wi-fi uses much less battery (and you get faster speeds, typically) than 3G.
-Set screen timeout settings to a lower time, such as a minute.
-Turn off sync for accounts you don't use (like I described for FB fog LG) for any other accounts. Some phones' crapware is set to sync by default, like for my phone, I have stocks and news synced. So I turn it off since I never use those apps anyways.

That's pretty much it! Sorry for the lengthy reply, but I like to make sure my help is thorough. Let us know if you have any more questions! Again, welcome!

Upvote 0
One thing you will have to accept coming from Blackberry is that for the most part, these Android devices don't last on a charge nearly as long as most BB's do. Most of that has to do with the larger screens, faster processors, and data consumed by Android devices. Once you accept that, you should be fine.

I came to Android last year from a Blackberry Curve. I enjoyed 2 days out of most charges on my Curve. Then I got my DX and thought I'd died and gone to hell (as far as battery life went anyhow). The stock battery gave me 5 hours if I was lucky. I had to learn how to walk again basically. On an Android device you have wifi connectivity, GPS, Bluetooth etc... but that doesn't mean you turn them all on and leave them on. Be diligent with them, learn to turn them on only when you're using them, and right back off once you're done.

That and don't use a lot of apps that push data to your device regularly. And turn your screen brightness down when you don't need it all the way up. These are just some of the guidelines to lengthening your devices battery life. But the biggest thing that helped my DX was, the extended battery!

Hopefully they have one for the G2x soon. While my stock battery on my new LG device is much better than the stock battery on my DX, I'm still very anxious to get the extended battery so that I can hopefully get away with only charging at night.

That would be great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones