1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I'm new to Android - I have a few questions about my Desire

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Casaloco, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Casaloco

Casaloco Lurker
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Hi, I just got my phone today, its on Orange contract for 24 months. Its a normal HTC Desire and I have a few questions about it.

On the back of the phone, it says "WITH HTC SENSE". Does this mean I can go to the HTC Sense website and register to get new features? And also is there a way to track it online like Mobile Me for iPhone.

My second question is should I "root" my phone? Is it like Jailbreaking the iPhone, getting 3rd party apps and things like that, changing the appearance?

Thanks a lot,
    Brady :)

UPDATE:
    Also, how would I go around rooting it, can you provide a good youtube video please :)

Advertisement

2. widehead

widehead Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    Educator
    Nope. HTC Sense is the name of the UI. You're referring to HTCsense.com.

Only root if there's an actual need for you to do so. 3rd party apps are available for all Android devices from the get go. If you mean you want paid-for apps for free, well that would be illegal.

3. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    Let's be clear - you don't need to root to change appearance. You can customize loads by using different apps and even the skins provided by Sense.

However, I still recommend to root. You will discover, soon enough, that the small internal storage space prevents you from installing as many apps that you want. This was the #1 reason why I rooted, and it opened the doors to soo many things possible with the phone.

Look no further than SURoot's excellent FAQ's:

http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/221212-faq-rooting-updated-24-02-11-a.html
    http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/220627-faq-apps2sd-updated-17-02-11-a.html

Everything may seem overwhelming at first, but trust me, it isn't that difficult at all and you will be so much happier with the results.

SUroot likes this.
  4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I'd say learn your way round the phone first, see what's in the market, and find out whether you want or need the things that rooting gives you access to. Be aware that rooting will void your warranty unless you can unroot before returning it.

Visit the root forum and see what sorts of things people there are doing. I have rooted and my phone is fairly heavily modded, so I certainly am not trying to deter you, but it isn't for everyone and it's best you understand it before doing it. Android without root already lets you do a lot of stuff you'd need to jailbreak an iPhone for. As another poster has said, increasing app storage is the big reason for many people (though there are many other things I personally preferring my current system to the software as it came).

SUroot likes this.
Tags: