1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General I'm new to Android. What should I do first?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lschmidt, Jul 16, 2011.

1. lschmidt

lschmidt Lurker
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    I'm super excited, as this is the first time I've ever had a phone that can do anything more than place phone calls and send text messages. With all the apps and customization options, settings, etc, I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed.

Are there any must-have apps that every user should get?

Any particular settings I should be aware of, or change from factory default?

All I've done so far is sync my Google account and contacts with the phone...absolutely no other changes.

I didn't buy from a store, but got my phone online so I really had no intro to android at all. Any help or advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisement

2. GunnerJim

GunnerJim Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    Ischmidt welcome to Android! The Droid Charge is an excellent choice, hopefully you got the unlimited data package too. The best Paid Apps IMO are Launcher Pro, Beautiful Widgets, and SwitchPro Widget. Best Free Apps IMO are Astro (File Manager), AK Notepad, Astrid Tasks, Battery Status (The paid app is better), Chrome to phone, Docs (Google), Docs to Go, Dolphin Browser HD, SkyFire Browser, Dropbox, Flashlight zaphrox, Goggles, Home Switcher for Froyo (Helps with switching from Touch Wiz UI that comes with phone to Launcher Pro, which looks and feels much faster than this version of Touch Wiz 3.0) Key Ring, K-9 Mail (If you need a really good second party e-mail app that is not Gmail) , Music (Google), Places (Google),Shopper (Google), Quadrant (For checking benchmarks on your phone), Speedtest, Tinyshark (If you use Grooveshark) Tune Wiki, TV.com, Your Bank Android App (For me BOA and USAA have apps) Voice (Google) Youmail (Voicemail handler), Zedge (For free ringtones) , Vlingo (Good voice command app), Reader (Google), and Adobe reader to name a few good starter apps. Hope you enjoy the phone, find folks you like on the forum and follow there posts, it will help you a whole lot.

Curtita1 likes this.