• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I'm not receiving text messages and can't figure out why

olandir

Sep 4, 2010
I seem to in almost all instances not be receiving text messages. This is definitely hit or miss. I've determined it's not service related as it's only happening to me, and it's not location related. It's not related to the services of the people texting me. It's definitely not every single time, but it's a lot. My messages seem to be going out without a problem.

Update: After extensive testing I seem to have narrowed down this problem somewhat. There seems to be a problem with the messaging app on my phone. I determined this by downloading Handcent SMS. The moment I did this, I started receiving text messages again consistently and without problem. Uninstalling the program put me int he same place I was before. Can anyone determine what the problem may be with this additional information.

Perhaps I have done something ill-advised to my phone so here is as much information about it that I can think of

Firmware Version - 2.1update1
Baseband Version - 1.00.03.04.06
Kernel Version - 2.6.29-cc1c2268 htc-kernel@and18-2#1
Build number - 1.22.605.0 CL161493 release eyes
Software number - 1.22.605.0
Browser Version - WebKit 3.1
PRI Version 1.28_002
PRL Version 51920
ERI Version 5

I am running a 2.1 rooted phone with (as far as I know) the stock ROM that came with the Incredible (prior to 2.2)

I purchased the phone with 2.1 and it did an OTA update to 2.2. However there were so many problems with the update that I decided to go back to 2.1. I did this and rooted which seems to prevent the OTA update even though I don't have a custom ROM.

In addition to Rooting, I disabled (using the method of moving the files to a disabled folder)

CityID
Footprints
FriendStream
Peep
Teeter

Aside from this and installing some apps, I haven't done anything that I can think of to the phone that may have caused this problem. There are only a few apps that I've installed that I didn't have before downgrading and rooting my phone.

Wireless Tether
VLC Stream & Convert
Startup Auditor (Messages has NOT been disabled)
IncrediLight

I do occasionally receive a text message but it seems more "miss" than hit.

As far as I know, I was not having this problem before I went to 2.2 (and then downgraded back to 2.1). Since I'm back at 2.1, I don't see how it should be any different from before unless I did something.

Seeing as how it doesn't look like anyone else has had this problem after rooting (as far as I've been able to see in the forum). I'm hoping I've missed something.

I've tried *228 option 2 (and option 1)
Nothing else seems affected, not call quality or email or any data services that I can tell.

Verizon has not been able to help me.

Hopefully someone has a direction I can go in from here to test this.

I'm of course perfectly willing to completely reset my phone but only want to do that if it will actually do some good.

mine does this too i will not recieve a text until i call someone so what i usually do is if im texting someone and i have gotten a reply in a while i will call my voicemail and then i will recieve the text

i had this problem when i formatted my Eris back in july......turns out its a problem on their side. spent 2 damn hours on the phone and went through like 3 people at VZW until they fixed it. they didn't tell me what they did though but it was all their problem..it wasn't switching to 1x mode at all when i sent texts....and i'd get them when a call was made bc calls are 1x...i explained this to them and they had no idea wtf i meant lol idiots

Upvote 0
Update: After extensive testing I seem to have narrowed down this problem somewhat. There seems to be a problem with the messaging app on my phone. I determined this by downloading Handcent SMS. The moment I did this, I started receiving text messages again consistently and without problem. Uninstalling the program put me int he same place I was before. Can anyone determine what the problem may be with this additional information.

Upvote 0
i had this problem when i formatted my Eris back in july......turns out its a problem on their side. spent 2 damn hours on the phone and went through like 3 people at VZW until they fixed it. they didn't tell me what they did though but it was all their problem..it wasn't switching to 1x mode at all when i sent texts....and i'd get them when a call was made bc calls are 1x...i explained this to them and they had no idea wtf i meant lol idiots

what did you ask them because i will definitly do this because it is very annoying

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones