1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I'm on Iced Glacier, thinking of flashing Cyan (backup question)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kidghost23, Jan 3, 2011.

1. kidghost23

kidghost23 Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    This is my first Android phone so this is also my first flashing experience. Go easy on me :D

So anyway. I'm wondering the best way to make sure I can keep my apps and app data. I'm gonna do a nandroid backup before I try anything just in case I dont like it, but I'm thinking I should run MyBackup Root before flashing and then recover from it when I finish flashing the new ROM. Will that bring back my apps and app data on the new ROM?

Advertisement

2. RavenWulf

RavenWulf Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Personally I use both Titanium Backup and My Backup Root (might be kinda redundant but had Titanium Backup first). the main difference between them is (for free versions) TB doesn't backup your text messages and call log, also you have to click for every app or app+data you want restored. My Backup Root backs up everything, also it is one click for all apps or apps+data and one more click for all of your SMS, MMS and call log.

so in short, yes MBR and TB will restore all your apps/apps+data but only MBR will restore your messages and call log. hope this helps

4g4win and Rowski like this.
  3. fst2011

fst2011 Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    QUestion about this whole process...correct me if Im wrong, but one of the features to using a custom rom, is that it does not have bloatware...right?

so if you use backup root...doesnt this just add all the apps, that the rom took off in the first place?

thanks,

BK

4. RavenWulf

RavenWulf Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    if you are restoring apps from the Stock ROM, yes. that is why I use both Titanium Backup and MyBackup Root (originally the free versions but have since switched to paid on both) My Backup Root backs up just the apps currently installed on the phone where as Titanium Backup once it makes a backup of an app it keeps a copy even if you uninstall the app. removing "bloat-ware" is made very easy with TB so even if you restore all your apps with MBR you can just go into TB and uninstall the "bloat-ware" run MBR again (without changing backup name) and it will not have those apps to backup so they will be left out of the backup file, but TB will have a copy incase you need them or decide you want them back. it seems a little redundant but makes things easier in the long run

5. Rowski

Rowski Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    finance
    Peoria AZ
    fwiw i thought cm7 was crap compared to the lates iced glacier. the messaging native app is nowhere near as synergistic with the gallery as sense, the dialer is decades behind it, and the phone had a lot of restarting issues.