• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Im Shocked By The ICS Problems

splatoid

Android Enthusiast
May 12, 2011
Washington State
I haven't been on this forum for about two months and I didn't even know that Acer released the ICS update. Its kind of shocking to see all the problems with this release. Although It shouldn't be surprising. Acer built a excellent tablet but there updates have always sucked big time. I have never updated from them because I have always been Rooted. But when I read these posts I'm not missing anything. The Dev's on XDA and other Forums Like Tegraowners do amazing work on these Roms and I dont have any of the problems i'm seeing here. I have a better GPS signal than I have ever had. The first year the GPS wouldn't even work outside. Now I can get 3 or 4 Sat's picked up inside my house. I know Rooting isnt for everyone but Im hooked for sure.

Well, rooting and other tampering with the OS is probably the reason some people have problems.....
I installed ICS without any trouble what so ever.....
I did do a soft reset and removed all the crap from the sd cards before I installed, just to make the odds better!
Of corse that is correct but either way people will have problems its always a gamble either way. I cant say its not nerve racking to do some of the things when it involves rooting and flashing the tablet but its sort of the same when you get a crap download from Acer. I tried the first update from after my tablet was two months old and it was a pain took three days and many hoops to jump through that is why I took the risk to not deal with Acer any more. I not this is not for everyone. Just my own preference is all.

Upvote 0
Well, rooting and other tampering with the OS is probably the reason some people have problems.....
I installed ICS without any trouble what so ever.....
I did do a soft reset and removed all the crap from the sd cards before I installed, just to make the odds better!

Lots of people have issues and have not rooted their tablet. It is the first time I see so many people complaining about a system update, which indicates that Acer did not do its job properly.

Upvote 0
There was this kind of mess at the very start also. When the tablet first came out the updates were screwing things up badly. Fortunately for me the update wouldn't work and I tried every trick for a week to get it to work and i finely gave up and went with the root route. I'm glad I did. I can do backups and resorts of my complete OS and freeze programs I dont want cluttering up my tablet. I also like being able to go into my file explorer and delete files and add files when I want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones