1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I'm still using the Samsung u740 from 2006...

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by Evil Ryu, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Evil Ryu

Evil Ryu Lurker

First post! Anywho, I'm still using the old Samsung u740, and while it's a great device for calling and texting, that's all it does... I'm part of a family plan and my phone is only like $30 a month with my family's plan. We're not under contract but we're paying about $400/month for verizon (7 phones), and only 1 of us out of 7 have a smartphone (iPhone 4S). I really want to cancel VZW and go to Sprint (mainly because we didn't get the Samsung Galaxy S2) and my sister is an Apple dummy. She is still under contract since she recently purchased the iPhone 4S. Is there a reason to stay with VZW if I just want to get my own plan without being in a family plan? Another thing I'm iffy about is VZW has a limit, while Sprint does not (I'm really considering switching to Sprint). Anyone have experience with both VZW's and Sprint's network? Buy yeah, Samsung u740 has grown increasingly boring to me. Sorry for wall of text, I kept trying to add spacing, but it still ended like this when I 'previewed' the post.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Android Expert

Hey, I had a Samsung u740. It was the phone I used the longest of any phone. I had it for over 3 years. I finally upgraded to my first smartphone, the Omnia, which I kept until I got my Droid X on July 15th, 2010. As a matter of fact, I still have that u740 in a drawer of my desk here somewhere.

You must have 2 family plans because if I'm not mistaken Verizon only allows 5 phones on a single family plan, and you stated you have 7 phones.

Regarding the data limit (at least I think that's the limit you were referring to) shouldn't be much of a problem unless you're a real huge user of data. On my X I use right around .5GB's of data every month. I use email, sent texts and surf the web. Not all of them every day (well maybe the texts) but close. My wife and daughter both have iPhones and use between .6 and 1.0GB's per month. They are on facebook a lot.

It's pretty much an accepted fact that Verizons coverage will be the best. Unless you're in a bigger city Sprints coverage might not be a good as you are accustomed to. Also consider when you travel (if you do) your coverage with Sprint might not be as good as you like.

However, if you really want a specific phone, and Verizon doesn't have it, you have to go where you can get the phone you want. And yes, Sprint does have unlimited data but make you you read the fine print. I remember someone saying on these forumssomething about they may "throttle" your data usage if you use to much.

All the above being said, I would think you would love having a smartphone. They are just like having a small computer in your hands, that you can also make phone calls with.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do,

3. Evil Ryu

Evil Ryu Lurker

Thanks for the reply, yes we have 2 different family plans. 4 of us would use data up so fast, since we love to abuse youtube. We use up between 1-2 terabytes per month from our at&t dsl (of which charges us up the booty for overages, have since cancelled internet service).

We mainly use our phones to communicate with each other, how is Sprint's service with that? If we just want to talk/text/msg each other, how will the service be?

And how much more affordable is Sprint compared to VZW? Also, from what I hear, the phones to hold out on are the Droid Fighter, HTC Droid Incredible 4G, and the Samsung Galaxy S3 right?

4. Joshbear

Joshbear Member

I just jumped ship from Sprint to Verizon a few days ago. Sure Sprint is unlimited, but at least where I am in North Carolina, Verizon's network is light years faster. Not to mention I actually have usable 4G now. With Sprint, I would use on average about 2 gigs a month. Verizon is still doing their promotion where you can get 4 gigs a month for the same price as 2 gigs, so that was perfect for me. As far as price goes, I'll pay about 10-15 dollars more a month with Verizon, but with their data speeds and great 4G coverage in my area, it's very, very worth it. Your best bet would be to talk to people in your area who have Sprint and see what their data speeds and coverage is like. The coverage maps on their website is a good place to start, but I would take them with a grain of salt.

I will add that one thing I miss from Sprint is unlimited calling to any mobile number, regardless of carrier. The vast majority of my calls are to other cell phones, so I will miss that.

5. wtherrell

wtherrell Android Enthusiast

I went from I760 to Omnia, Fascinate, & now Gnex. Have always had good results with Verizon. Always able to call from wherever I am. Now loving the 4G.

6. 91Firebirder

91Firebirder Well-Known Member

I've haven't personally checked but I think Sprint vs VZW on an individual plan is not most of a price difference. A 7 line family plan I imagine it is a decent difference in money. Yes, you will have a data limit with VZW, as far as overage costing more, however, Sprint does throttle your speeds at a certain point. Also, be honest with yourself, a going to a smart phone, I would guess, the data use goes up for the average person. What I'm trying to say if don't assume if u get a smart phone on Sprint you'll just be using it for "talk/text/msg".

Also, why cancel now just because we didn't get the Samsung Galaxy S2? It seems like that was released a while ago... if you really want a Samsung, I'd wait a few more days and see what we found out about the Galaxy III and the possibility of it coming to Verizon.