1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support I'm sure this problem has been discussed a lot, but...

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by laurcunningham, Apr 19, 2016.

1. laurcunningham

None

Apr 19, 2016
    Female
    We recently switched my husband over to my AT&T account from US Cellular. In the switch he acquire the Samsung 6s Active and it has essentially been a terrible phone for him from the get-go.

Today, while he was working, he received a phone call from 911 that was just a recording and it scared the crap out of him. He tried to reach me and then called my father-in-law to see if I was there. When I finally called him back he said that he had just realized that somehow he butt-dialed 911 and they were just calling him back.

This is not the first time this has happened. After the first time I researched how to fix this problem and we found that if you set a unique pattern to unlock the phone that it is not possible for your phone to unlock in your pocket. Plus we also read to make sure that 911 and no other persons names were in his emergency contact slots to prevent from this happening.

It was going fine for awhile but today his phone somehow, in his pocket, "unlocked" his unique zigzag pattern and called 911 on him.

What else can we do to remedy this situation? At this point he is just short of throwing this phone in the garbage disposal.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. hjterry

hjterry Newbie
    None

Apr 19, 2016
    It might be a system glitch, or a coincidence. I suggest doing a complete system wipe, and setting a PIN code instead of a zigzag pattern. If it happens again after that, trade in the phone and get a different phone. Hope this helps.

3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    I'd recommend NOT doing a complete system wipe, a Factory Reset is a last resort measure for problems that can't be solved otherwise. The issue sounds more like just a 'feature' in Android phones -- with a lock screen you can still do emergency calls just by waking up your phone:
    http://www.technipages.com/android-what-does-the-emergency-call-button-do
    If his phone is getting jostled around in his pocket, the screen is waking up, then he's butt-dialing 911. There are third-party lock screens:
    http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/remove-emergency-call-button-from-your-lock-screen-0166472/
    Or if he gets a phone holster that would just clip onto the outside of his pants. I've always felt smartphones and back pockets aren't the most compatible anyway, just sitting down adds a lot of physical stress to the body of the phone, and they're not really designed to be flexible and bendable.
    http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-LV-Sam...664&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+6s+Active+holster

4. hjterry

hjterry Newbie
    None

Apr 19, 2016
    Makes more sense, forgot that some phones have emergency buttons on the lock screen.