1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General I'm testing Asus Transformer and iPad 1. I plan to keep only one of them. Which one would you keep?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by magentawave, Dec 9, 2011.

1. magentawave

magentawave Well-Known Member
    None

I've been testing an Asus Transformer and an iPad 1 and plan on keeping only one of them. I like the openness of the Android but the external speaker is too quiet for watching Netflix movies and doesn't sound nearly as good as the iPad unless you are wearing headphones.

Watching Netflix movies at night in my bed is my primary reason for owning a tablet. My transformer is not rooted yet and I'm not sure yet if I should root it.

Can anyone convince me why I should keep the Asus Transformer over the iPad 1?

Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks
    Steve

Advertisement

2. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    PC Technician
    Richmond, VA
    If speaker for Netflix is the only factor for you, honestly, I would just say stick with the iPad.

3. magentawave

None

Watching Netflix movies has been my primary reason so far for using a tablet, however, I'm new to using tablets so I'm sure I'll find lots of other reasons to use one as time goes on.

I'm wondering if rooting my Transformer could make the external speaker louder? Perhaps one of those 'Volume Booster' apps at the Android market would help? Heard anything about those apps?

Thanks for replying.

Steve

4. AutobahnSHO

AutobahnSHO Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    You could get a wireless (bluetooth) speaker system and enjoy the transformer.

I say TF because it has widescreen where the iPad is Square.

5. AutobahnSHO

AutobahnSHO Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    btw I wouldn't put much faith into any "app" to help the sound.
    It already comes with quite a bit of software engineering- it's a speaker/amp defect, not anything apps will fix. I personally wear earphones but if you don't want to do that, then up to you.

6. Nucco

Nucco Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    A buddy of mine has an iPad and another has a Transformer. I played around with each of their's testing features and stuff. Honestly what sold me is the larger widescreen, and that you have a lot more customization options without rooting/jailbreaking. As for the Netflix deal, sound quality is fine on mine, and if it's not loud enough, I woud suggest a set of cheap speakers or headphones, they can go a long ways. No doubt the the iPad is pretty sweet and probably has a better stocked app selection, but I guess I'm just more of an Android man. :)

7. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Android Expert
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    While a lot of people have reported it being "quiet" I have pretty bad hearing and could hear pretty well.. make sure your not blocking the speakers..

And being totally honest.. my mom has the transformer.. I wouldn't give that up if I were you.. it is just such a nice tablet.

That is just my personal preference.. the screen was great and the bat life was very substantial, plus your suppose to get ICS.

8. ziffos

ziffos Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Retired in 1994 at age of 45
    East Coast UK
    NO CONTEST!!!

I have had an iPad 1 and I have had an iPad 2 and neither are as good overall as my TF101. With or without its Keyboard Dock it is stunning.

9. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    My main reason for finally choosing the Eee Pad was the keyboard dock. After owning it for a few months now, I am very impressed with all other aspects of the Eee Pad. I haven't experienced any issue with volume, but I primarily watch Youtube videos and other videos on web sites, but not Netflix.

10. magentawave

None

Someone said at another thread that one of the equalizer apps seemed to helped the sound a lot.

11. tesh

tesh Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    This is a great debate and I hope you can get some good insight either way...

I'm in a similar situation; have had my ipad1 for quite some time and use both mac and pc environments at work and home. I use both tablets for more than netflix, however i feel your situation, I use both for netflix quite a bit too.

as for the internal speakers on the Asus, they'll never be as good as the ipad's single speaker - it's too bad too, especially because they coudld have embedded better speakers in the dock (i use the dock most of the time with my Asus).

if it was a choice between losing one and keeping one, i'm sorry to say i'd keep the ipad, only because the apps I'm using now for autocad, draft/drawing etc are just so well polished, they work well - I havent jb'd my ipad and have too few reasons to do it just yet. haven't rooted my Asus because again, there are only a few reasons i'd want superuser rights, and i rarely need those...

As for the sound quality - this may not sound like much of a solution, but after waiting a year to drop money on a jambox, i'm glad i finally did. there are tons of other viable options (as cheap as $10 from ross for some portable speakers) but that's the only way I'll watch something on a tablet w/o headphones now...

if you absolutely have to keep only one and aren't tied to the apple eco-system, I'd keep the Asus, much more every day usability over the ipad, unless there are apps you need that havent been ported over yet

12. magentawave

None

UPDATE: Well, I sold the Asus, but only because I didn't like the sound of the internal speaker, and it wasn't loud enough for watching movies, and I was able to sell it for $100 more than I paid for it. And even though I'm a big Apple fan and user (Macbook Pro, iPods), I much prefer the openness of the Android operating system over iPads closed system.

Does anyone know if the new Asus Prime has a better internal speaker?

Thanks

Steve

13. jymbat

jymbat Lurker
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    teacher
    Chicago
    While both can do netflix, the TF 101 can do it for $200 cheaper. It's expandable via flash drive and micro SD while the I-pad isnt. I have to say, while I've been reading about the various proplems folks here have with the asus transformer, I haven't seen a one of them. I play movies, listen to music (with headphones), compose my lesson plans and homework assignments and surf the web on it. For me, its nearly all the computer I need in a handy case. To top it off, I only use the keyboard as an extra battery when Im off camping or commuting. The battery in the tablet itself lasts all day at school. I'd recommend it over the I-pad any day of the week, and do to my fellow teachers. I love that it comes with Polaris Office, which is totally compatable with microsoft. I-pad didn't have this without a significant cost. I checked out several tablets including the I-Pad and many android and windows based before deciding on the TF-101 and havent regretted it for a second. To me it was the best bang-for-buck deal on the market and still do. I've had mine for about a year now but haven't seriously pushed its capabilites. I havent had the need.

14. magentawave

None

I've been using my iPad now for a few months and there is no doubt that you can do so much more with the Asus Transformer over the iPad. iPads are so tightly locked when it comes to any kind of customization which drives me nuts sometimes because I own an Android phone and know how much more I can do with Android. This really hit home the last few days when I had to use my iPad exclusively because my Macbook Pro was being repaired. If it weren't for that darn quiet speaker issue with the Asus I would have kept it and sold the iPad. With the Asus Transformer and the keyboard, I could travel and do most of what I do on my computer if I had to. I don't feel that way about an iPad with a keyboard though. Also, people are always talking about how there are so many more apps available with the iPad, but my experience is that most of the iPad apps that I want cost money and that the free version (if even available) doesn't have nearly the features as the free Android version of the same app.

In hindsight I wish I had kept the Android and bought some blue tooth external speakers to deal with the quiet internal speaker issue.

Steve

davidchsw likes this.