1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

i'm the most Clueless Android Ever...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by patineto, Sep 4, 2017.

1. patineto

patineto Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2017
    But I really like the platform.

IPad convert, now with a buch of Samsung, Asus tablets, used by the kiddos, in my shop or at my car..

Looking forward to learn a lot specially how to run my Note Pro as a ''head unit'' on my land cruiser..

Ricky

Advertisement

Unforgiven likes this.
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Hello Ricky!
    Welcome to AF :) You are amongst a slew of other Android Enthusiasts here, so feel free to ask !

If you have trouble navigating the site, you can always post a new thread/question here, and if needed, it can be moved:
    https://androidforums.com/forums/android-help.2400/

Cheers!

patineto and Unforgiven like this.
  3. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    Hi Ricky.

Unforgiven likes this.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    Welcome to the forum Ricky!!!

LV426 likes this.
  5. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Just some random babble as you acclimate yourself with a different mobile platform
    -- Sit down and just go through each item in your device's Settings menu. You'll learn a lot about the capabilities (and admittedly some limitations) of your device. Also note that there are often sub-menus too that may be contextual to the main menu. The oft-repeated differences between Android <?> iOS really show up in Settings.
    -- Another revealing place to look into is your App menu. Take a look at each app currently on your device and don't forget to check each app's Settings/Options menu because there can be a lot of possibly useful options that may or may not be by default enabled but really stand out for your needs. Unfortunately the Settings/Options menu for different apps are often in different places -- could be the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines in the upper left), or an icon in the upper right or left, or tied to the Android menu button (bottom left corner) -- it's mostly up to the developer(s) of the app. There's more uniformity in the Apple-verse in this aspect but there's more flexibility and capability in Android's less regulated approach.
    -- This is just my opinion but Google's Play Store is much easier to use when you're searching for various items compared to Apple's App Store. Anyway, you should get used to using the Play Store app as the default apps that come with Android aren't always the most robust -- the default email app is just an OK email client, as is the default texting app. Third-party apps in the Play Store however are usually much more configurable and expansive with better feature sets.
    -- One aspect that really shines with iOS is the fully comprehensive backup/restore feature tied to iCloud or iTunes. Plus it's much, much easier to transfer your entire user account from one Apple device to another. Unfortunately there's no similar, overall solution for Android. Different manufacturers and carriers do provide some really good utilities/services to back up/restore your device but they're not universally compatible to any Android device. Apple can set something like this up as it has control over its OS, its hardware, and its support network, Android is more open and less regulated, allowing any number of different manufacturers to participate at multiple levels of oversight so a basic, universal backup/restore solution isn't as viable. Anyway, it's really, really, really important you set up a good backup solution for yourself. Don't put this off, backups are important.

scary alien likes this.