1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General i'm thinking about getting an xperia play

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Johndill, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Johndill

Johndill Lurker
    None

Dec 11, 2011
    Hi, i'm new to the forum and i'm thinking about getting an xperia play and I want to ask a few questions, and is there a way to connect to my TV via HDMI because in a 2.3.4 Update video you can, andwhat is rooting and branding?

Advertisement

2. Digital Jester

Digital Jester Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Student/Bar Staff
    Birmingham, UK
    The only way to connect an Xperia Play is with the Live Dock accessory. However there's some confusion over whether it will work as some retail sites don't list the Play as one of the compatible devices. The SE Xperia Play page say's you CAN link to HDMI with a live dock, but you might need to update your software.

This is where the confusion may lie as there seems to be an issue with Xperia Play's getting the 2.3.4 update. If you can get a play with 2.3.4 then the dock will work fine.

Branding is when a carrier (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Orange, O2, Vodafone etc.) locks the device to their network so it can't be used on any others. With phones running Android they also like to load all sorts of crappy software onto your phone too which you can't remove. Unbranded phones are unlocked to any network and don't have any software other than what the manufacture installs.

The most basic description of rooting is that it allows "Administrator Access" on your phone. This allows you to bypass any software limitations imposed by your carrier/manufacture such as, removing the affromented crap software, installing more up to date versions of Android than are avaliable, or custom versions such as Cyanogen Mod.

Johndill likes this.