• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I'm tired of waiting, Root me!

BaronOfBlood

Apr 4, 2010
Alright all, I'm completely done waiting for froyo, so here's my plan, Since I've heard so many great things (and I love the customization of it all) I want to root my Dinc. I'm looking to get Skyraider 2.5.2 Vanilla and Radio 2.15 cuz everyone keeps raving about it. Whats the easiest way to do it? Before you say to read the Official Root Thread I just want to say I've been reading a lot of threads and alot of them say that this guide is a little outdated and unecessary, so what's the simplest way to go about doing this? Also a few questions: Will I get full flash 10.1 with root? And do I get to keep all of my info/apps that I had before rooting? Thanks to all :D

Alright all, I'm completely done waiting for froyo, so here's my plan, Since I've heard so many great things (and I love the customization of it all) I want to root my Dinc. I'm looking to get Skyraider 2.5.2 Vanilla and Radio 2.15 cuz everyone keeps raving about it. Whats the easiest way to do it? Before you say to read the Official Root Thread I just want to say I've been reading a lot of threads and alot of them say that this guide is a little outdated and unecessary, so what's the simplest way to go about doing this? Also a few questions: Will I get full flash 10.1 with root? And do I get to keep all of my info/apps that I had before rooting? Thanks to all :D

An answer to your questions...

1. You can download Flash as an app once you have 2.2. Note sure if you can get this from market or from adobe's website or elsewhere in the forum :)
2. You will have to make a backup of your apps and settings etc using Titanium backup. You can find this on the market.

Upvote 0
Once you've rooted all you have to do is download the roms as zips and place them on your SD card. Clockwork recovery looks similar to the regular recovery except there's a simple file manager. Select the two erase options and then install the zips by clicking the "Install from Zip" option. Reboot and enjoy!

Upvote 0
Thanks, how did you root? I'm thinking about using unrevoked v3 to root but then I don't know how to install the Skyraider rom and Radio 2.15

Go here buddy http://www.jonamerica.com/technology/howto-root-the-htc-droid-incredible/

but before that I say install the OTA leak from directions here... http://www.jonamerica.com/technology/howto-htc-droid-incredible-leaked-froyo-2-2-update/

once you are settled in with those guides install ROMS...follow all steps and read up tho!

Upvote 0
Most, if not all, Froyo ROMs require that your radio be upgraded to one of the 2.x versions. The ota.zip that installs 2.0.5 IS risky, because it contains multiple files which apply patches/diffs to the radio. If you are flashing radio or apply over itself, you can brick. The benefit is that these roms/radio require root, but only the reversible style, via unrevoked 3.

The 2.15 radio is a standalone radio which can be considered much safer, however there is some controversy over its performance compared to 2.0.5 and it requires s-off via unrevoked forever.

So before deciding which radio to go to, you migh want to decide if you want to root forever. If you want reversible, follow the stuff you already have and be careful with that ota (install once, be patient, and then remove the file from your sd card). If you root forever, then you can, if you choose, skip the 2.0.5 and its 'issues'.

Upvote 0
Most, if not all, Froyo ROMs require that your radio be upgraded to one of the 2.x versions. The ota.zip that installs 2.0.5 IS risky, because it contains multiple files which apply patches/diffs to the radio. If you are flashing radio or apply over itself, you can brick. The benefit is that these roms/radio require root, but only the reversible style, via unrevoked 3.

The 2.15 radio is a standalone radio which can be considered much safer, however there is some controversy over its performance compared to 2.0.5 and it requires s-off via unrevoked forever.

So before deciding which radio to go to, you migh want to decide if you want to root forever. If you want reversible, follow the stuff you already have and be careful with that ota (install once, be patient, and then remove the file from your sd card). If you root forever, then you can, if you choose, skip the 2.0.5 and its 'issues'.

I think I would much rather root forever and install radio 2.15, how do I do this? I was just about to root using unrevoked but I don't know if I should do that to install radio 2.15

Upvote 0
You'll still root using unrevoked, but you just won't push the 2.0.5 ota.zip.
Check out How 2 - ADB, Rooting(reflash), Unrooting, Nandroid, Remove/Install App, roms, kernels - xda-developers if you haven't already.

Basically, unrevoked3 will get you root access and will install custom recovery (ClockWorkMod). (You then do nandroid and titanium backups).
Then you can use CWM to run unrevoked forever.
Then you can push the standalone radio by putting it on your sdcard and booting.
Confirm you have S-Off + 2.15 radio.
Then wipe and flash the rom of your choosing!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Alright, I think I'm slowly figuring this out. I've figured out how to root using unrevoked 3, simple enough. Then from there I make back ups using titanium and nandroid. How do I run unrevoked forever through ClockWorkMod? I read the directions on their site but they've left me confused.

Basically put unrevoked-forever.zip on your sdcard.
Boot to CWM (either from rom manager or power off, hold vol-down then turn on phone, vol-down to highlight recovery, then power to select it).
Once in cwm, choose install zip, browse to unrevoked-forever.zip, optical to select it, confirm, and wait for it to do its thing.
You'll push radio slightly differently, as noted in its thread.

Upvote 0
How stable are these builds?

I assume you mean builds of the unrevoked tools. So far they have had an excellent track record. Stable, good instructions, helpful support, and the most notable confirmation of brick was someone who pulled their battery during the 2.0.5 radio flash - nothing that had to do with unrevoked's stuff.

Upvote 0
hboot is the white screen you get to when you first power on while holding the vol-down button.

you will put the radio .zip on the root (top level) directory of your sdcard, with the exact name they mention (something like pc3blah.zip). This time, when you boot the phone to hboot, let it chill for a moment and it will ask do you want to install the update. Sure you do (vol-rocker to yes, power to select).

np on lending a hand

Upvote 0
Alright, I think I've gotten on the necessary steps, correct me if I'm wrong:
-Obtain root using Unrevoked 3
-backup using nandroid
-backup using titanium
-Put Unrevoked Forever on sd card root
-Boot to CWM using Vol down and power button etc
-Load Unrevoked Forever
-Put Radio 2.15 in sd card root
-Load hboot and wait for update to appear and select it
-Flash whatever custom rom I want, in this case Skyraider 2.5.2 using Rom Manager

Am I'm leaving anything out? (Bug fixes patches etc.?)

Upvote 0
Alright these are my last questions, I promise haha. Will I lose all my apps by rooting and installing these things? Also what are the purposes of the backups I'm making, are they to restore my apps and data once I'm done rooting/installing the rom? Do I need to delete the unrevoked forever file off of my sd card before adding and installing the radio file?

Upvote 0
Rooting won't impact your data, neither will radio update.

Its when you flash to the custom rom (SR), that is when you will start losing stuff.
Nandroid is sort of a system restore style backup whereas titanium is apps and user data.

You don't NEED to remove the unrevoked forever file, but you might want to remove that and the radio update files since you wont be using them anymore. (leave them on your pc just in case). I also copy my backups to my pc, just in case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones