• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I'm tired of waiting, Root me!

Alright these are my last questions, I promise haha. Will I lose all my apps by rooting and installing these things? Also what are the purposes of the backups I'm making, are they to restore my apps and data once I'm done rooting/installing the rom? Do I need to delete the unrevoked forever file off of my sd card before adding and installing the radio file?
You will lose your apps when you put on a custom ROM. But that's what the Titanium backup is for. Once you install the ROM, redownload Titanium backup from the market and it can restore all your apps. The nandroid backup is used if the installation of the ROM doesn't work and you need to restore to your previous ROM.

Upvote 0
So using Rom Manager I downloaded cyanogenmod 6 RC3 and it says I have 2.2 but I didnt update my radio or anything. I literally downloaded it from rom manager and installed it. Is this bad? Normal? I noticed that the video camera doesnt work at all, it reboots after trying to use it.

EDIT: Im not sure if this is how you are supposed to use or install cyanogenmod but OMG...I love this rom!!

Upvote 0
So using Rom Manager I downloaded cyanogenmod 6 RC3 and it says I have 2.2 but I didnt update my radio or anything. I literally downloaded it from rom manager and installed it. Is this bad? Normal? I noticed that the video camera doesnt work at all, it reboots after trying to use it.

EDIT: Im not sure if this is how you are supposed to use or install cyanogenmod but OMG...I love this rom!!

I cant recall if cm6 specifically requires the radio update, but it also will benefit from it. One of the differences will be the camera issues - I can record in 720p using cm6rc3.

I'll agree, I personally really like cm. I'll switch over to a sense based one every so often, but for me it is a combination of things I dislike about sense that still exist in the stripped versions, and a few things i really like about vanilla/cm that keep me going back. If they get a few of the remaining issues worked out, it would be sooooo amazing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones