1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I'm Trying To Recommend A Good VZW Phone For My Dad

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by JunBringer, May 25, 2011.

1. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

He is huge into bluetooth and mentioned wanting a front facing camera yesterday when we hung out. He has the Droid 1 right now and is due for an upgrade this summer I'm sure. He said he doesn't use the hardware keyboard.

I was thinking the LG Revolution or the Incredible 2. I don't think the Thunderbolt has a FFC or I'd recommend that for sure, as I'm an Evo man myself and they have similarities.

Also aren't they putting out a Galaxy 2 in the next few months? I dunno if I'd rec a Samsung because of their lack of updates but just looking at options since I don't know as much as you folks about the VZW phones. Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Tb has a front facing camera I think the inc 2 does as well if he is in an area where he isn't going to get 4G I would steer clear of the tb as it isn't the best on battery life

3. moondrius

moondrius Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Baltimore MD
    The Thunderbolt does have a ffc as does the Droid Charge. I have used both devices and the Droid Charge has an awesome display and great battery life. The Thunderbolts I had needed to be replaced a couple times due to the plastic wedged in at the bottom. This caused dust to get under the glass and light to leak all around the bottom.

4. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    the charge can receive updates, just look to your rooted community for the assisstance. they can provide more information on upgrading the phone.

and as yeahha states, the TB has some battery life that may make you stay clear, but of course there is no HTC device that has good battery life. but the TB, by far has the worst. my buddy had to charge his after 4 hours of use, not heavy use, not even moderate use, just a normal routine, text, web, text. almost dead in 4 hours. but to each his own, you may want to check it out for yourself to see how it fairs

5. mpciii

mpciii Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    VA
    My wife has the stock battery and can get through a whole day with light-moderate usage. I use mine a lot so I bought the extended battery when I purchased the phone. I charge it every night but really don't need to. I like not having to worry about the battery. I even started using live wallpapers and turning up the brightness on my display.

6. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
    Incredible 2 is a great phone to recommend. Unless your Dad has a need for 4G (watches videos or does other data heavy stuff) he would be well off with Inc2. If he wants/needs 4G, then I'd go with the Bolt. The Charge isn't bad either, but the Bolt is my personal preference.

7. olskool

olskool Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    disabled
    Alabama in the woods.
    Go MOTO! toughest out there and real people support. Right now answers with live chat.
    Olskool been using Motorola since you han to call mobile operator to even place a call. Still have one that will fire up even though it can't be useful any longer.

8. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Personally, I'll be waiting for the bionic or whatever the name will be.

QHD screen, duo core, 4g. Solid build.

9. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

Thanks for the info guys! We do get 4G at our house, though we have wifi, thus defeating the purpose. I did think about the Bionic, as it's seems to be top of the line. I think he has to wait until July anways, so hopefully that's coming out around then. Thanks again folks!

10. thrawn86

thrawn86 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Miranda
    I'm about this close to just giving up on and telling people to get the (verizon) iphone. my only hope is the droid3 (even then no s-amoled+ :( ) or possibly the bionic (4.5" screen ugh)

sure, the gs2 will (eventually) beat its pants off, but its arguably the best device on big red at the moment.