1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General I'm upgrading to a new phone, what do I need to do before selling my Optimus M?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shigglyboo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. shigglyboo

shigglyboo Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    I'm wondering what steps I need to take in order to prepare my phone for resale. I have rooted the phone, so I'm not sure if a factory reset is a good idea or not. I've done some google searching but haven't found much info. It just needs to have all my apps, prefs and contact info cleared and be de-activated I think. Any help or just a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

123KrisC likes this.
  2. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    Do you have custom recovery on?

I would certainly do a "factory reset" Get your gmail out of there as well as all other personal info.

I put factory reset in quotes because if you have a custom recovery you would go into recovery and wipe it there, not from the phone menu.

3. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    I'll look into custom recovery. Beyond clearing the phone, a concern is that whomever I sell the phone to won't be able to activate it because the serial will be tied to my account somehow. How can I be sure the phone is available to be activated by someone else? I'm hoping to avoid having to go to the Metro PCS store and do it, but I found no official way to cancel service, and the chat reps ask me for a PIN number that's 8 digits instead of 4 and say that I didn't grow up on the street I grew up on (my security question).

4. new optimus

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    did you switch phones? or switch carriers?

your 8 digit pin is your birthday in this format

shigglyboo likes this.
  5. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    thanks for that PIN tip! I'm switching both. Picked up a motorola triumph and going with virgin. I'm in a somewhat rural area (hopefully not for much longer) and metropcs was dropping so much I could barely make calls.

I like the Optimus M though, great phone overall, small compared to the triumph, but I'd recommend it to anyone. Even after having an iphone the optimus was sufficient for social media, web, pics, etc.

6. new optimus

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    ya, as soon as you cancel the account the esn for the optimus will be good to activate, if you just let it expire it takes 90 days since you last paid the bill. Least that is my understanding.

Tags: