• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

im wondering how much dev support the epic will have?

Buying an Android and not root? That's like buying a Ferrari and not driving it. I don't think you will have to worry about not having dev support on this phone. I will be rooting as soon as I get it. I waited for 6 months before I rooted the Hero, and looking back on it I kick myself for not making the Hero all it can be from the beginning. Even if you don't do much with it, you should still root. And rooting in itself is nothing more than turning on superuser access.

Upvote 0
I'm new to the whole "rooting" thing with Android phones. Does this just remove Samsung's Touch Wiz interface, or does it remove everything non-Android? What I mean is, does it remove all the Sprint extras like the NFL/Nascar stuff, etc.? If so, I'd be hesitant to do it I guess.

It will allow you to remove stuff like touchwiz and sprint bloatware but you don't HAVE to.

Upvote 0
I ended up bricking the WiMax radio on my Evo messing around with custom ROMs and stuff. It was a fairly well documented issue on the xda forums about a bad ROM or bad WiMax radio or something (missing RSA keys, if anyone's familiar with the issue). Not sure if they ever found the cause.

Makes me very wary about messing with that again. At least after the first 30 days, anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones