1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Image gallery from file (or PHP, etc) server

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by cristian607, Dec 31, 2011.

1. cristian607

cristian607 Lurker

Hello,

I come with the following use case: I have all my pictures on a remote file server (windows share/samba). I want to browse/view them from my tablet. I can use for example ES file explorer but the pictures are quite big and it takes about 3-5 seconds for each picture to load (each picture has 5 M).

So I'd need some kind of server (e.g. php based) that scales/caches the images (towards 1280*800 for example) and an android app (even a web page would work,although without the multitouch interraction) that displays the pictures. On a double click for example, the full sized pictures would be loaded.

Are you aware of this kind of software or solution?

Thank you in advance.
    Best regards,
    Cristian.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

I am the support admin for PhotoFrame. Although there has not been any active development on this in a few years, I still have a working demo up at http://thewholeinternet.com/album/. I just tested it on my Tab, and it sort of works. The concept is that you drop image files into a folder and the php program automatically creates the album, thumbnails, etc. The thumbnails can be configured for either side of the screen and scroll in a separate html frame. The "sort of works" part is that the Android browser does not seem to support frames, so the thumbnails show in their entirety. If you have a lot of them (like in my demo), it makes for a loooong page. However, clicking (pressing) the thumbnail still pops up the full or resized image in the main frame, as expected.

Maybe one of the aftermarket browsers (e.g., Dolphin HD or Opera) would offer better support?

3. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast

Why not use something like Picasa? I've found that a fantastic solution -and with API level support, I can actually do more with it.

4. cristian607

cristian607 Lurker

Hello,

And thank you for your answers.

By Picasa you mean the web version right? I already have a lot of pictures that I'd like to keep on my computer. The Picasa account is limited in size, and I'd need to resize them.

I think I found something. I did not try it yet, but will do soon:
    Gallery | Your photos on your website

It looks that there is an Android app that communicates with this software (via the REST api).

Best regards,
    Cristian.

5. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast

Well, there is a Picasa app that handles the transition from PC to Web. It's pretty painless.

You're right - there is a storage quota IF you have them larger that 1600x .. so that might not be a great solution.