1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Image Stabilization (Camera)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gsxr150, Sep 12, 2011.

1. gsxr150

gsxr150 Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm that the GS2 camera has image stabilization? I was watching a review from the press conference and I'm 95% sure I saw it as an option on the screen (in camera mode). That would be pretty killer, especially if it works in video mode.

Advertisement

2. unplugged1

unplugged1 Android Enthusiast

3. gsxr150

I'm telling ya, I saw it as an option...lol. Guess we'll see.

4. unplugged1

Oh no, I wasn't disagreeing with you that there is "stabilization." I think I saw that also.

Unfortunately, without some type of analog stabilization, I doubt if it is going to have much effect. Maybe in a few years technology will get to that point.

5. gsxr150

Humm...well I guess anything is better than what the EVO 4G has. I look forward to seeing it.

6. noirchat

noirchat Lurker

Yay, super useful feature for sure.

7. cary328is

cary328is Android Expert

I didn't want to start a new thread and I think my question is somewhat relevant since it's camera related - but does anyone know if the panoramic feature on the SGS2 can do a higher resolution than the original Epic (limited to 640 x480 only) ? I love the panoramic feature but I don't like how the resolution is so low. I'd like to take a lot of city-scapes when I go hiking etc. Thanks in advance

8. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Android Expert

I know the Epic had image stabilization so I don't see why this one wouldn't

9. gsxr150

Not sure, but I'm looking forward to playing with that!!!

10. gum

gum Newbie

I can confirm that there is in fact an anti-shake feature in the settings of the camera, disabled by default.

Anyone have any ideas on what the downsides are to using this? Why is it even an option to disable correcting for shaking?

11. ayman86

ayman86 Member

less detail.

12. pb_2000

pb_2000 Newbie

You can try looking to this:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.debaclesoftware.pano&feature=search_result

It came from iApp. I don't know what the maximum final resolution could be.

13. andrdrulz

andrdrulz Newbie

Does anyone know if the camera and all your apps still work on low battery like the nexus s

14. Fyahstarter

Fyahstarter Newbie

Typically battery life.

15. cary328is

cary328is Android Expert

UInfortunately the camera refuses to work on low battery like the original Epic

16. unplugged1

On digital stabilization such is on this phone, effective "anti-shake" is very limited, and probably adds noise (or grain) to the image. Battery life is affected on analog or optical (physical) stabilization, but not so much digital.

As the Wikipedia entry states on digital stabilization: "Unfortunately, many still camera manufacturers market their cameras as having 'digital image stabilization', when they really only have a mode with a sub-optimal image exposure time, resulting in pictures with less motion blur, but more noise."

While we don't really know what kind of "anti-shake" the Epic 4G Touch employs, I suspect that it would lean toward sub-optimal image exposure.