• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Images From Space! Put that camera to work.

Zahav

Apr 2, 2010
I took this through my telescope with the Incredible's camera. One of the good things about the tiny cameras in phones is that they can see through the eyepiece of my telescope. Don't expect to try this and get it perfect the first time. The Saturn picture took about 30 tries and lots of fiddling with the settings to get just right.

Original Saturn Picture:
IMAG0117.jpg

Cropped Saturn Picture:
IMAG0117-Copy.jpg

Epic Moon Picture:
IMAG0087.jpg

Video Tutorial:
YouTube - VIDEO0015

Planet SDG&E?

Jupiter:
35a137c6.jpg

Jupiter Cropped:
35a137c6-1.jpg

Jupiter's moons Label(Stellarium):
Jupiterlabels.jpg

DebugSquid

Thanks people! If you want to try this for yourself, the Google Sky Map app may be helpful.
Scan this to go to the market page:
chart

Hey man, what type of a telescope did you use. I have four telescopes and tried getting pictures of saturn with a regular camera and they weren't as good as yours. I'll give the Dinc a try!
It is an Orion. I don't know the exact model. I can't check now because its not with me. I'll find out later and post it. It looks like this one:
340x340_template

Upvote 0
Very nice, please post more when you can!

WOW yea post more! lol

Unfortunately, I work till midnight the next two nights. However, Jupiter rises at around 3am tonight so maybe I'll be able to wake up and grab a shot.

Like Saturn, Jupiter does not simply appear as a disk in the sky. It has 4 orbiting moons: Io, that has the only known active volcanoes besides earth. Europa, where some scientists believe may lie a vast liquid water ocean below a thick ice sheet. Ganymede the largest moon in the solar system. And Callisto that also may have liquid water beneath an ice sheet.

Cloud bands are also visible through my telescope. Hopefully ill be able to see them in an Incredible shot. It is tough to image both the cloud bands and the moons at the same time because Jupiter appears so much brighter than the moons.

All 4 moons are visible through a telescope and I have taken pictures before with my previous phone's 3MP camera.

This is what Jupiter looked like through that phone's camera(NOT taken with Incredible) hopefully I will be able to capture a picture to compare soon and post it for you:
ded19f48.jpg
All four moons are visible in this picture. Taken on 2009-10-08 (hard to tell if it was August or October from the ambiguous date format but I think it was October.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones