• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

images recompressed when on cell connection

A

Android Question

The last few days I've noticed images in web pages have looked terrible when browsing away from home. I did some poking around and found that images I download while using my cell data plan have significantly smaller filesizes than the original. Downloading over wifi is normal.

What's causing this? Can I disable it?

LG Venice running stock jelly bean on Boost Mobile.

I believe it happens with Chrome and the default browser. Not using any beta version of chrome, don't have the bandwidth usage options in the browser settings.

The other thing I've noted is that if I email an image to myself and get the email through the browser, I can view/download the image with now quality loss. My guess is that this is due to the image being transferred over https.

I've run across a suggestion that the provider (boost here) might be doing this. Any possibility that's true? It would explain why it only happens over unencrypted traffic on the cell network. I have an unlimited data plan and had used less than 1GB of data at the point I noticed this happening.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones