• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IMAP e-mail not working on new Hero

gavinbailey

Aug 29, 2009
Hi - just got my new Hero yesterday and spent last night setting it up. I pull e-mail from my home e-mail server (an Excito Bubba) via IMAP, and had settings that worked flawlessly with my old HTC Tyntyn 2. I entered these these into the Hero and although the device 'accepted' them it's not downloading any e-mail.

I've searched through all the settings including how many and how frequently to download e-mail and all seems ok.

It's really frustrating as it should be so simple. I've also tried a simple pop3 account that I have with lineone and no joy in setting that one up either.

I called Orange tech support but they couldn't help either and I don't really want to return the phone. I have also tried a factory reset a few times and re-entered the settings via the wizard and manually but still no joy.

Any ideas?

It would seem that my delight at getting e-mail to work with K9 was premature as it soon stopped working and again I can send e-mails but my inbox is 'empty' and I cannot view the folder tree - essentailly the same problem I had with the standard app.

It would appear that something else is causing this and I'll try to talk to HTC tomorrow about it.

Is it possible to 'soft reset' the Hero without losing any data? Has anyone else had a similar problem with the mail app?

Upvote 0
Yeah, and I'll start on the cure for cancer. I bet I beat you.

An update - I spoke to HTC tech support this afternoon. It was a long phone call.

After explaining the problem, setting up a gmail account on the Hero (which worked), I still can't get the Hero to pull down email using IMAP from my server.

So.... I've set up a test account on my server for HTC tech support which they are hoing to use tomorrow to set up one of their own Heros and see if they can send/recieve e-mail. Hopefully that should get to teh bottom of the issue before I lose the will to live!!!:(

Will keep you updated....

Here's hoping.......

Upvote 0
Update: I've just spoken to upgrades and then've agreed to replace my Hero with a new one which will arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping that the new phone will fix the issues I've been having as my existing Hero worked intermitenntly with the K9 app however I'm not holding my breath! :rolleyes:

If this doesn't work then I'm afraid I'm off to the Symbian/Nokia E71 camp for now......:(

More tomorrow...............

Upvote 0
I've had one of those. It was really good actually, build quality is excellent for a Nokia. Be careful where you hold it though - antenna is located at the bottom of the device and makes a huge difference if you cover it with your hand.
The on-board mail app it pants, but nokia do another one of their own (available on the "downloads" folder. Also try Profimail. You have to pay for it, but it's really good. lonelycatgames make the app itself.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on the new Ovi market too.

I think, to be honest, that a new device is not the answer - the firmware update is. If you could stall them until that's out, we could keep you in the family a little longer.

Upvote 0
Well the new Hero was delivered bright and early this morning and I've spent a couple of hours getting the new one to work.......

HTC tech support also responded with the e-mail below. It seems that they haven't really understood the problem and they claim that the Hero will only work with one e-mail account at a time (?) which essentially means that if I have my gmail account details entered to enable me to access android market I cannot then enter the details for my own personal e-mail account and synchronise via IMAP????!!! WTF!!!! :mad:

If true this really seems a retrograde step and my old TYnTyn2 had no problem with multiple accounts.

I know I can get gmail to poll all my pop3 accounts then use this service to sync with all my desktops etc however that makes my home server redundant for e-mail and effetivley moves all my e-mail storage off into the ether. Whilst that has certain advantages that's not what I want to do. I just want to pull down e-mail via IMAP from my home server!!

If anyone has comments on the HTC Tech suggestions (which seem erroneous to me) or other suggestions I'd be grateful before I give up, send my Hero back and get a Nokia........... :(

Upvote 0
Sorry - forgot to paste in the HTC Tech support blurb....

Dear Gavin,

As I said before androod handsets does not support two mail account at the same time. :thinking: It will work properly with google mail account properly.

You can set up your IMAP mail account but it will not work properly together. We recommend you select one account.

Please Note: The end-user must have IMAP enabled on the exchange server by the IT administrator (this should already be done). The end-user also requires to get the following settings from the IT administrator.

- Server: (example) webmail.company.com
- Username: (example) Company\(enter first name)_(Enter last name)
- Password: your password
- Security (SSL)

- PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF THE CUSTOMER HAS GOT IMAP ENABLED ON THE EXCHANGE SERVER -

- STANDARD MICROSOFT EXCHANGE SYNCRONISATION IS NOT SUPPORTED AT THIS TIME -

1. From the Android home screen tap the applications tab

2. Tap email.

3. Tap Next.

4. Enter the email address and Password.

5. Tap IMAP account.

6. Change the incoming settings. The end-user can get these settings from the IT administrator.

- Server:
- Username:
- Password:
- Security:

7. Tap Next.

8. Change the outgoing settings. Get these settings from the IT administrator.

- Server:
- Security:
- Username:
- Password:

9. Tap Next.

10. Tap the desired time to check for new emails.

11. Tap the time.

12. Tap Done.

13. Give the email account a name.

14. Tap Next.

The end-user has setup the Outlook exchange email using IMAP on Android.

Incoming
Protocol:imap4
Server:imap.1and1.co.uk
Port:143
Encryption:none

Incoming
Protocol:pop3
Server: pop.1and1.co.uk
Port:110
Encryption: noneOutgoing
Protocol:smtp
Server:auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk
Port:25
Encryption:none

If the above steps do not resolve your issue, we invite you to visit the support area on our Web site. Please go to: http://www.htc.com/www/support.aspx

Or you can go to: http://www.htc.com/select_country.htm, select your country and then click on the Support tab.

You can also call our Call Center at: 44-120-271-4530 if you have further questions.

Thank you once again for your continued patronage.

Best regards,
Europe customer support team
HTC Corp. Global Service Division

Upvote 0
Well, it appears that the issue is solved, at least for now. I set up the new phone in exactly the same way as the old one and it's been syncing reliably through both GPRS & wifi for the past 5 hours. I've even installed a few apps from the market and it's still working.

I'm hoping that this will continue and if it does I'll be happy.

No idea why the first phone didn't work and although well intentioned the advice from orange and HTC themselves wasn't of much use.

Upvote 0
Neil - your experience underlines my issue exactly. I spent HOURS on the phone with Orange and HTC and came away feeling I knew more about IPAP, static IP's and e-mail servers than they did... While I accept that my setup is not a simple pop3, I got the feeling from the questions they asked that no-one reallyt understood my issue and although I knew what I was trying to do they couldn't help me implement a solution on THEIR harware. It was epecially frustrating that my 'old hat' tyntyn 2 appeared to offer and deliver better IMP performance than a new device like the Hero which should have the basics well implemented (surely :thinking:). It's not like IMPAP e-mail is rocket science.

In the end while I didn't really believe that a new phone would do the trick it did seem that there was a software problem on the old phone (I didn't check OS revisions but the new one is still Android 1.5), as it didn't have some of the options and behave in the way HTC Tech support expected as they guided methrough setup.

For example I set up my gmail account in thw izard to access the market and got test e-mail coming through however on firing up the standard email app there was no sign nor option to select the gmail account and no gmail inbox??? I'm not minded to set it up again to test it as my personal e-mail through my IMAP server using K9 is working now and I intend to leave it well alone..............

Upvote 0
I don't blame you - I would stick to the solution you have working as well! :)

I've got a "Google Mail" icon in my menu (I'm sure I didn't install it as I don't normally use GMail) and use the standard Mail app, but the Google Mail doens't show up in the standard Mail app.

Its a shame that support folk don't get trained up on email properly, after all there are not that many options to worry about.

Mind you, had to help someone set up their iPhone with IMAPS using a self signed cert (same setup as I use on my Hero) and it was *far* more grief than I found my Android phone ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones