• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IMEI Change

S

sunosz

I installed a custom ROM and my IMEI changed by itself. I still have the original IMEI number, I don't know how I can change back or even if I should do it, because everyone is saying I can just go to my mobile network store (VIVO - Brazil) and ask them for unblock my phone. I suppose to my knowledge it is illegal to do change it by myself because it would be "Tax Evasion" but i'm scared of VIVO not wanting to unblock my phone because it is rooted and with a custom ROM. Any help will be appreciated, regards.

Some phones have been known to lose their imei when flashed, but I've never seen one changed. I would suspect a poorly coded ROM is the cause. I am going to assume that the imei your phone now reports is blacklisted.

I would try and flash it back to stock. If that doesn't restore the original imei number I would take the phone, your receipt, and the box to the VIVO store and show them that the imei being reported by the phone does not match the box. The imei number should also be printed on the phone itself, usually under the battery, but if it's a phone with a non-removable battery you might be out of luck.

Flashing a custom rom will void your warranty for most carriers, so expect to have to pay to have it fixed. And, you are correct that trying to change your imei yourself is illegal in most countries. Only the carrier can do that.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones