1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

iMessage feature for Android

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by jeffrj4au, Feb 4, 2016.

1. jeffrj4au

jeffrj4au Member

Does anyone know if there's something similar with Android phones where you can see when someone is responding to your text and also see a read receipt? I've had it with Apple, but I love this feature and wanted to know if Android offers this. It works in facebook messenger and other messaging apps, so I would assume there's something for Android.

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

I don't use it very much but Whatsapp has that and it is the biggest Android IM app.

psionandy likes this.
  3. jeffrj4au

jeffrj4au Member

I know there are probably apps that do this but how about the actual messaging app on your phone?

4. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Hangouts is the official Google IM app.

The "messaging" app on most androids is SMS/text messaging, which is different from Instant messaging

5. jeffrj4au

jeffrj4au Member

So there is nothing within the app on the phone? As far as hangouts, is this another way to text someone?

6. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Hangouts was intended to be the all in one messaging app. Hangouts can be used for regular texting/SMS, instant messaging and video chat/video calls (group video chat also). However, Google has hinted recently that they will be removing the SMS portion of the app sometime soon.

There are no other features in the regular messaging apps on most Androids other than sms texting

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

iMessage isn't a texting app. It's a IM app that also happens to work with SMS. Google offered this with Hangouts but seems not many Android users seems to have bit the feature.

AZgl1500 likes this.
  8. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

I looked at it once, and said "Hell no" and deleted Hangouts.

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Yeah. Anybody hacking apple can see who you were texting and what you were talking about. Look at what happened with the Fappening.

10. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

never heard of 'Fappening' but I lead a sheltered life :D

I don't look for much outside my little circle of apps if they 'do the job'

11. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I never heard of "fappening" either.

12. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Fappening was the huge celebrity iPhone hack. Icloud got hacked and tons of celeb pics were released (very private ones). Jennifer Lawrence was most vocal about this, as she was the most invaded.

tube517 and mikedt like this.
  13. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

#13 tube517, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

15. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

16. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

I have LG G4, the list of my phones is all of my past phones too, pretty much all good phones for their times so it can't be compatibility, I thought it must have discontinued but then I saw reviews given this month so figured it must be invite only or something?