• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

imessageonandroid.com, is it legit and safe?

This app also caught my attention, so i tried to DownLoad it, but I ran into issues that made me wonder if the whole thing is a scam.

The download askes you to pick a participate in an "Offer" to in order to qualify. I picked one & it had me fill out a quick survey for a product (no problem so far). BUT... next it wants you to accept the installation of some sort of Tool Bar on your computer. If you don't allow the install, no download.

Needless to say; I will not install the tool bar and.... I'm highly suspicious that there is no download of a legitimate app coming.

Upvote 0
If it is not on the Play Store. Don't download it. You have no idea who the developer is or what is in that.

Also, why worry about the ability to communicate with a shrinking minority that refuses to open itself up to the rest of the world? Google isn't blocking communication with apple. It's apple being a closed-system that causes this. So, therefore, that's their problem. They can fix it.

Upvote 0
at the very least people should think long enough to realize that the URL contains the name of an apple copyright. And no way would they be allowed to use that.

Maybe someone can call one of the legion of apple lawyers and tell them to takedown the domain while they take a coffee break from trying to find trivial reasons to sue Samsung and other Google partners.

That "app" has privacy guard on its domain registraion - another red flag. A real company/developer doesn't hide.

Also, it uses Hosting & domeinregistratie | Goedkope webhosting bij HostEasy if you want to try to track down who is hacking your phone after your download from that site.

Upvote 0
MontyPythonRunAway.jpg

Reactions: gtbarry
Upvote 0
That "app" has privacy guard on its domain registraion - another red flag. A real company/developer doesn't hide.

I'm not playing devils advocate for the company in question, but I will say that it's not really fair to make such a blanket statement. I ran my own successful online business for over 10+ years from my home, and before I added that privacy guard I would get phone calls at all hours of the day and night and on the weekends. Didn't seem to matter that my home number had been on the Do Not Call registry. I got tired of the calls waking up my kids who had to get up for school early in the morning, so I added the privacy guard to my domain account. The calls stopped.

I'm sure mine is just one of the many reasons why a legitimate successful business would want to add the privacy guard to their domain.

Upvote 0
And I'm sure you also didn't do this or infringe on another corporation's copyright.

The download askes you to pick a participate in an "Offer" to in order to qualify. I picked one & it had me fill out a quick survey for a product (no problem so far). BUT... next it wants you to accept the installation of some sort of Tool Bar on your computer. If you don't allow the install, no download.

In all honesty, the individual points I have made are not huge red flags if they were the only points of contention. I have downloaded the swiftkey beta not from the Play Store. I have privacy guard on my websites. I download software that tries to sneak in toolbars.

But if I see one company doing all of these....I stay away. It's the cumulative effect of all the little red flags. Especially when I am trying to save others from being hacked.

Upvote 0
at the very least people should think long enough to realize that the URL contains the name of an apple copyright. And no way would they be allowed to use that.

Maybe someone can call one of the legion of apple lawyers and tell them to takedown the domain while they take a coffee break from trying to find trivial reasons to sue Samsung and other Google partners.

They probably don't want you to know that they're in China(just guessing) ...

Also, it uses Hosting & domeinregistratie | Goedkope webhosting bij HostEasy if you want to try to track down who is hacking your phone after your download from that site.

...or Holland?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones