1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Immediate Email

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by atvguy64, Aug 9, 2011.

1. atvguy64

atvguy64 Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2010
    I am using cammster.com as one of my security applications at home. it sends me an email when it detects motion. However, I cannnot seem to find a friendly app that will send am email immediately to my Sprint Hero.

What free email program and app can I use that will send me an email when cammster sends it out, and notify me right away.

I have tried a google account (gmail), but it seems to want to check for emails at predefined intervals when using the main email client (that I also use for a work (exchange) email address).

I tried a yahoo (ymail) app and email addy, but it would conflict with my work email and stop the program from receiving the work or the ymail mail.

I quickly tried K9 app, but couldn't figure out how to use it with the yahoo mail to notify me immediately of the new email

Any suggestions?!?!?

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    If you use the Gmail app, it will always be push email, it does not check periodically like the Mail app, the server (google) will send the email to your phone immediately.

3. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Gmail app with a Gmail account will push to your phone. I have a different primary email account. I ended up just forwarding my primary account to Gmail so I can get the push. I can also configure Gmail to send emails with my primary account in the from field, so I don't have to tell everyone I changed email accounts.

4. atvguy64

atvguy64 Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2010
    Thanks for the info.. and just to be clear.. This is a separate app (gmail app) than the one I am currently using for email?? Is that Correct?? Thanks!

5. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    That is correct. On my Android phone, it comes with an app called Mail. This is a generic email app that comes with my HTC phone. It is used for any email account. On my phone, the Mail app also integrates really will with other HTC apps on the phone.

I also have a Gmail app on my phone. This is for Gmail accounts only. If you use a Gmail account the Gmail app integrates really well. It doesn't integrate as well with other apps on my phone. However, it has push mail and that is a feature I really, really like.

6. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    I also forward my primary email (roadrunner) to Gmail for push, and I have Gmail set to send as roadrunner. Unfortunately some ISPs don't allow the spoofing so the emails come from my Gmail account on behalf of my roadrunner account.

7. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    The app is just one link in your chain. Your email account also determines how email is delivered to your device. If you want push email you need to use a push account (set up as push) with a suitable email app. No app on your device can turn a non-push account into push.

Is ActiveSync not available for your Exchange account? Exchange set up with ActiveSync is push. You might want to consider a different Exchange client.

One should have no bearing on the other -- especially if you're using different apps.

You'd need to search/Google for the IMAP settings. My wife's primary email account is Yahoo and she used K9 just fine with her Yahoo account set up as IMAP.

You have quite a few options. I'd also suggest just using your gmail account set up with the gmail app.

8. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I would also like to add that certain features on my phone seem to default to using my Gmail account instead of my primary account in the From field. I noticed that when emailing a photo from the photo app. It defaults to using my Gmail account, but it manually allows me to change it back to my primary account. I confused a few people when I used something other than the Gmail app to email things from my phone. The Gmail app default doesn't automatically cause other apps to change the default From address.