• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

important question about S4

A

Android Question

i know that when you root your phone you can buy a 64GB SD card and then make your phone think that its the internal memory so it runs so fast and you can download whatever games and apps you want.

and i know that SD cards can sometimes stop working for no reason because i had a 32GB SD card (in my S4) and it worked fine for 3 month and then it just stopped working and without dropbox i would've lost all my pictures and videos.

so i wanted to root my phone and do the swap internal to external to my phone but i am wondering what will happen to my phone if i removed the SD card or the SD card stopped working? (when i say stopped working i really mean it, the SD card just becomes a useless piece of plastic and metal :\ )

1) SD cards do have limited lifespans. It's in the technology.

2) The operating system stays on the internal memory, so even without the card, the phone will boot. It's just user storage that's moved to the SD card.

3) It's not rooting that does it, it's a custom OS, like CyanogenMod (which happens to be rooted, as are all?|most? custom OSs).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones