• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Important Read From Sprint Community Forum

jfenton

Jul 31, 2010
This is an eye opener.....from post #458

Samsung Epic:3G Upload Capped?

Exact Text is as follows:

So, back on topic. I felt it was relevant to bring up another issue I noticed today. I was never able to use Skyfire via 3G or 4G for video, as well as having issues with streaming radio applications. I feel it is relevant to bring this up because I believe it increases the probability that this is an INTENTIONAL cap, as I have found a solution to our traffic being FILTERED:

(My own post from XDA)

So apparently sprint thinks this is the iphone and we want our traffic filtered and/or proxied. This causes skyfire not to work with its flash video feature (and possibly other video/streaming apps, like a radio app I tried). But you can fix it and here's how (credit goes to sdx thread for the moment, will try and post link when back at pc):

##3282#
Multimedia
Input your msl (find it using adb command getprop, look for msl in readout)
Change rtsp proxy to 0.0.0.0 and rtsp proxy port to 0

Enjoy your unfiltered traffic!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Here is that link I mentioned, all credit goes to CHIBUCKS at SDX-Developers:
http://forum.sdx-developers.com/andr...treaming-apps/

I felt it was relevant to bring this issue to light so people realize that giving sprint the benefit of the doubt is sometimes not warranted. They're intentionally limiting traffic at the phone level. Not something that inspires any kind of "good faith" relationship with them... C'mon sprint, this isn't the iPhone, and if you start giving it the same limitations, I might as well go over to AT&T with all their issues...

Reactions: 4gtt and only1penny
JFenton:

Could you possibly clarify this bit for novices? Also: Is ##3282# something to enter in the dialer field or is it an ASCII-funned post number?

##3282#
Multimedia
Input your msl (find it using adb command getprop, look for msl in readout) Change rtsp proxy to 0.0.0.0 and rtsp proxy port to 0

MSL? ADB command? Look for MSL in readout?
Change rtsp proxy and proxy port? Where does one find all this?

If ordinary people can understand how to do this, you'll have struck a blow for Epic users everywhere.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind, this doesn't fix the upload cap problem, but it does allow you to stream video/audio from certain websites that the Epic wasn't allowing you to do before. Apparently Sprint and/or Samsung decided to throttle this as well by using a proxy. Not too impressed with either company at the moment... :/

Upvote 0
And here's a response from the 3G Capped thread JFenton's referencing:

462. Sep 24, 2010http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/216360#216360

TKDJOE1,

This does not remove the slow average upload. It has no effect on the network "speed" at all. What it does is remove the RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol) block. Many applications use RTSP as the standard for transmitting audio and video data. Applications that use RTSP often use a significant amount of data "bandwidth". These apps are usually mostly downloading data, so the upload limit would have little to no effect.

So you might ask "Then why do I care" and "what does this have to do with the topic of this thread"? First of all, this has been a perplexing (data related) problem for many of us. But more importantly, and why it is pertinent to this thread is that it is evidence that Sprint is taking action to limit our data bandwidth and if they take one action (the action to disable RTSP was clearly targeted at limiting download usage) it is more likely that the upload issues that we are all having may be less of a bug and more of an attempt to throttle data usage. Meaning that the reason we have not seen a "fix" could be due to the fact that it is not a technical issue and more a business decision. I'll stop there, before I step over the line and into a conspiracy theory. ;-)

Upvote 0
JFenton:

Could you possibly clarify this bit for novices? Also: Is ##3282# something to enter in the dialer field or is it an ASCII-funned post number?

MSL? ADB command? Look for MSL in readout?
Change rtsp proxy and proxy port? Where does one find all this?

If ordinary people can understand how to do this, you'll have struck a blow for Epic users everywhere.

I agree - step-by-step for us noobs! please!

Upvote 0
I agree - step-by-step for us noobs! please!

I was like you and figured it out:

(1) download "connectbot" form the market
(2) open connectbot and run in the "local" mode from the drop menu on the left side i think at first is has "ssh" and in the field type "getprop" without the " make sure you are in "local" mode then just hit enter.
(3) you will be in local mode there will be a $ I think what is what it looks like on the top left, like a terimal window waiting for a command
(4) type, "getprop" again without the " for the command then hit enter
(5) a list of stuff will scroll, look for [ril.MSL]: [your MSL will be in here a six digit number]

now that you have your MSL, go to the phone dialer and enter ##3282# go to "Multimedia" enter your MSL and make the changes.

Hope this helps

Reactions: only1penny
Upvote 0
Is this still necessary? My streaming apps have always worked for me. I remember having to do this on our Moments when it first came out just to get Pandora to work.

Well, I figure it probably can't hurt. And if need be, I can revert to the previous settings. But with a strong 3- or even 4G signal I often get mysterious interruptions in streaming and I don't think all of it can be blamed on the servers the radio apps are using.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones