• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help IMPORTANT: Samsung Infuse UCKE3 (firmware) update

I just got the update! I was on my way to Ocean City and on the Eastern Shore. I was in a place called Ellendale, MD, and after leaving EDGE coverage for a while, I went back to H+. Then I checked for updates, and guess what happened!

Instead of it saying "Checking for updates" for like 3-5 minutes, it connected immediately and downloaded the update. It downloaded in less than a minute and I started the update right away. It took about 5 minutes to install.

Our prediction about where you are is correct. I was unable to connect to the server when I was outside of Baltimore. But when I went to the middle of the Eastern Shore, I was able to get the update downloaded almost immediately after I tapped "Check for updates."

I will call AT&T and let them know about this issue of having to relocate yourself to get this update.

Reactions: somanyapps
Upvote 0
Correction: I was actually in Delaware when I got the update. Ellendale is in DE. But yeah, visiting a different location is the solution ti the problem.

An interesting note to add: when I was checking for updates back where I live, it took 3-5 minutes to say the connection failed message. But when I checked for updates after the update, it took less than 5 seconds for it to say "Current software is up to date."

Upvote 0
Correction: I was actually in Delaware when I got the update. Ellendale is in DE. But yeah, visiting a different location is the solution ti the problem.

An interesting note to add: when I was checking for updates back where I live, it took 3-5 minutes to say the connection failed message. But when I checked for updates after the update, it took less than 5 seconds for it to say "Current software is up to date."

Congrats on getting the update. Now, where I can go to get it. :thinking:

ATT definitely needs to know this.

Have a good trip.

Upvote 0
I live in California and was able to get the update last week for my Infuse as well as the wifes

It's solely based on location, apparently. I got back from Delaware and so now I'm back home near Baltimore. Tried checking for updates as a test and for laughs. Turned off Wi-Fi and let my data connection (H+) take over and did the update check.

Ding-dong, the connection failed message reappeared, claiming to be unable to connect to the AT&T servers when the connection was clearly successful back in the DE (which, BTW, while off-topic, has no sales tax payment). Yes, as I mentioned before, as soon as my update installed successfully on my phone, I cleared data for Device Management and did an update check. Less than 5 seconds (NO IT'S NOT A TYPO; IT WAS LITERALLY ALMOST LIKE 5 SECONDS) after tapping "Check for updates," I got a message saying I was up to date. That's also how short a time it took for the 8 MB update to start downloading. It finished downloading in about a minute and took about 5 minutes to install.

Oh yeah, when I did the update check when I got home from DE, it took the (usual failing) 3-5 minutes to check for the now nonexistent (for me, that is) update, then display the unable to connect message. Yes, when you get that message, it will take 3-5 minutes to "check for updates."

I know what you're thinking; the truth hurts: you have to be in a certain location (state) to get the update. A pain-in-the-neck, I know.

Now we have very strong evidence that the update is received based on location. AT&T said something like they weren't sure of the accuracy of the posts people made on 3rd-party sites. Well, they're going to be in for a story on my personal experience of getting the update as a result of relocating myself temporarily.

Upvote 0
dlee1001,
From your experience it is obvious something is up with our location. But just exactly what and how widespread is it? Going to Richmond didn't do it for me, but it isn't that far, so maybe not far enough. Or maybe because it is still in VA. I've been speculating about what criteria has to be met in order to get the update, and why going to Richmond didn't work, assuming I don't have another problem. I could go to PA or WV (a little over 100 miles, NC and DE would be too far unless I was going for another reason) but since I don't know if the solution is that simple it could be another wasted trip.

I thought about calling ATT about this then realized I would be relating your experience in an effort to resolve this, not mine. I didn't want to simply tell them what I read on the forums and what I think. They would simply run through, once again, the battery of things they do with no resolution.

Upvote 0
dlee1001,
From your experience it is obvious something is up with our location. But just exactly what and how widespread is it? Going to Richmond didn't do it for me, but it isn't that far, so maybe not far enough. Or maybe because it is still in VA. I've been speculating about what criteria has to be met in order to get the update, and why going to Richmond didn't work, assuming I don't have another problem. I could go to PA or WV (a little over 100 miles, NC and DE would be too far unless I was going for another reason) but since I don't know if the solution is that simple it could be another wasted trip.

I thought about calling ATT about this then realized I would be relating your experience in an effort to resolve this, not mine. I didn't want to simply tell them what I read on the forums and what I think. They would simply run through, once again, the battery of things they do with no resolution.

OK, so I just did another update check (as a test) at a shopping mall near my home. When I pressed OK in the check for updates box, a miracle happened. About 5 seconds after pressing that button, it said "Current software is up to date"!

I figure that means the residents of MD who have the Infuse got the update. Since I already got it a week ago in Delaware, I already have the latest version.

Have you gotten the update yet? Are you still unable to connect to the AT&T servers to get the update? The problem is solved for MD, apparently. Is it resolved for where you live, in VA?

Upvote 0
I did get the update today, but I was in MD when I tried. The last time I tried at home in VA it did not work, but I'm not sure what day that was. Might have been yesterday. When I got home today after successfully updating in MD I got the "Current software is up to date" response as well. So, I'm thinking it would have worked if I had tried it in VA. Until I saw your post, and before I tried when I got home, I was trying to understand why it would work for me in MD, but not for you. I guess we see now that it is probably because what ever the issue was has been resolved, hopefully. Thanks for all your input on this.

Upvote 0
Well there definitely seems to have been something up with the MD/DC/NOVA update server then. My wife and I have infuses and live outside of baltimore and were unable to update. About a month ago we took a trip to the middle of PA and both phones updated while we were there.

Although I just checked for updates for the heck of it, even though there aren't any at the moment and the phone came back instantly as up to date. So maybe whatever was wrong is now fixed?

Upvote 0
Why? Is it because they fixed a problem? Or, did it just become our turn to get the update?

Maybe it was the fact that it might have been our turn to get the update. But here's the refuting point: the update was released a month and a half ago, so it seems impractical that we got the update at such a late date. Which may lead back to the former speculation that whatever problem that existed with the servers in our areas was resolved. The situation is ambiguous until someone calls AT&T about this matter. Only they will know the answers to these mysterious implied questions.

My only safe guess is that if Maryland and Virginia got the update, it was most likely their turn to get the update anyway.

Upvote 0
I guess we'll see what happens with the next update. If nothing else, maybe we'll at least get an appropriate response when it is not our turn to get the update. I got this update on July 21. It was released around June 3. Other than our desire to get it sooner I don't know if it is an unreasonably long wait to get a rolled out update.

Upvote 0
I guess we'll see what happens with the next update. If nothing else, maybe we'll at least get an appropriate response when it is not our turn to get the update. I got this update on July 21. It was released around June 3. Other than our desire to get it sooner I don't know if it is an unreasonably long wait to get a rolled out update.

And have you read the latest about the Gingerbread update for the phone? It seems like we're going to get it, guaranteed. But wonder how it's going to work.

Upvote 0
Do you mean, how will the roll out work for us? I don't know. Will it be in the same order? We really don't know for sure how it all got resolved the last time. As a result of the last update we at least know there's nothing wrong with our phones. We'll have to wait and see if we get the same "unable to connect" response. In any case, I am willing to wait, especially with a major update, before trying to force it. But, if we're impatient we know we can try changing locations to see if that works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones