1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Importing a Nexus Galaxy and warranty concerns

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oatmeals, Nov 30, 2011.

1. oatmeals

oatmeals Lurker
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    If I purchase a "grey" market GN from expansys.ca or http://www.clove.co.uk, would I be eligible for warranty from Samsung in North America?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. likebutta

likebutta Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    If I recall correctly, no. There may be the ocassional case where Samsung allows it but I doubt it. That's why they setup regional warranties to begin with, as it would likely be costly to do it globally.

Some stores offer to handle it to a certain extent though. Check with the individual store to see what their policy is.

3. kam187

kam187 Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    I think depending on the fault, once the US version is out and they're handling those repairs you might have more luck getting them to cover it.

I usually go with the business traveler approach and that no one mentioned to me about this when I purchased, and insinuating they're being really petty for no reason. Works sometimes!

4. Lazdog46

Lazdog46 Newbie
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    "The Expansys phones are grey market phones... they are sourced overseas, shipped to Expansys USA and then resold to US customers. Warranties are based on the international warranty, and are usually handled by Expansys.

This is not the same as a phone that's distributed to Best Buy from Samsung with a US warranty attached to it. Generally speaking, importers like Expansys and Negri are very upstanding when it comes to phone warranties. However, without that middle-man, getting a phone problem resolved is not as easy as driving to your neighborhood store."

quoted from alee0279

5. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2011
    Owner
    Jacksonville, FL
    Samsung USA in NOT going to cover a grey market phone. The only way you could get it repaired is to see if you can send it back to the seller and have them handle the warranty if they happen to be in the country of origin. This is a BIG if.

I buy grey market phones and understand that part of the luxury of having it first is that there is no warranty.

6. TroyBoy30

TroyBoy30 Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    handtec and expansys will handle warranty issues for you. you pay to ship back to them. they ship to samsung and ship back to you

woodraskam likes this.
  7. oatmeals

oatmeals Lurker
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    No wonder the premium at expansys compared to ordering from the UK. Anyone have experience dealing with warranty issues at expansys?

8. TroyBoy30

TroyBoy30 Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    word has it negri will do the same. I ordered from expansys just to ship back to a US address and not a UK one. I figured turn around time would be quicker if needed. They will also ship me out a new one if an exchange is needed so I don't have to wait forever for it to make it across the pond and get checked out

Tags: