1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Impressions on 2.3.3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by leeh97, Jun 2, 2011.

1. leeh97

leeh97 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    Installed 2.3.3 through Kies 2 days ago, here are some of my experiences
    I always update to the latest version when its available.

1. GPS working great. Locks in 15-30 seconds! Compared to before which sometimes never locked after several minutes. I always test from the same location and same method from outside my apartment window.

2. Wifi signal problem. 2.2 was weak, sometimes dropping the signal when i am at home 2.2.1 was very good, i can lock in to my wifi anywhere in my house and never dropping a signal for around 3 months. 2.3.3 seems to be back to 2.2, signal is weaker than 2.2.1. I used 'wifi analyzer' app to monitor.

3. Battery. Seems to be better. Better app management also, seems apps are gracefully killed when not used.

4. Apps. Several apps that was running before now FC immediately including Asphalt HD. Maybe need to do a factory reset? Some widgets are reset or lost, for example Weatherbug widget reset itself to new colors. Another widget showed "could not load widget". THis is happening not just after upgrade to 2.3.3 but also since new boot-ups.

5. UI. Nothing special. I was hoping for some new features. Does seem a bit faster

6. Touchwiz. Cannot find anythign new here.

7. Task manager. Before, the built-in task manager had 2 levels. level 1 never seems to do much. Level 2 was very effective in killing everything.
    Now it seems 2.3.3 has only level 1, and not effective in killing. Tried task killers and it seems more difficult to kill tasks now which is similar to 2.2.1.

8. Quadrant. Getter lower score than 2.2.1. I test immediately after bootup and 2.2.1 was 1050. 2.3.3 is 960. However no appreciable difference can be seen, ie no lag.

How about you?

Advertisement

2. kavimani

kavimani Member
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Mumbai
    Well am on JVO... updated a couple of days back.. Before the update was on JPY with voodoo lagfix ... Well since the update the GPS has changed for good.. but its ok not like am lost in wilderness and need the GPS to get me back on track.. but nevertheless am happy..

Battery: Yes battery does seem to be better an 2.2.1
    Wifi - 2.2.1 was much better than GB
    Memory: Some how feel that the OS takes in more memory now.. no clue as to why so..just got about 10 odd apps as I wanna see how GB works before loading it with apps
    Quadrant : Well this is no way to base the speed of the phone, it wouldnt right on my part to compare a lag fixed phone to a GB update without lag fix.. but yes do get a score in the range of 960- 990
    UI : does seem faster.. Lets see how the phone performs when more apps are loaded

Anyone else care to share??

3. neiljsaldanha

neiljsaldanha Newbie
    None

Nov 4, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Bangalore, India
    Well my phone was running on 2.2 itself (Samsung didn't bother with releasing further versions of Froyo here in India), and I must say that 2.3.3 is quite a breeze to use when compared to 2.2

The main difference is that the phone seems to run smoother and there is hardly any lag now. I prefer the Gingerbread UI also with it's dark theme. Haven't noticed much of a difference with battery usage though, it's probably marginally better with Gingerbread. WiFi is the same, works fine.

All in all, the phone doesn't unexpectedly freeze anymore, nor is there any lag which is a huge relief!

4. leeh97

leeh97 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    I did a more detailed test on wifi, as scientific as possible. Comparing JV4 (2.3.3) and JPK (2.2.1) Flashed back to JPK using Odin today.

Using 'wifi analyzer' i compare the time elapsed signal strength at 3 location in my home for 2 minutes.

1. JPK, 2.2.1

Time graph in wifi analyzer is stable at -40dbm (2 meters away), -70dbm (in the kitchen), -80dbm (on my bed).

2. JV4 2.3.3
    signal fluctuates alot. Even 2 meters away, wifi analyzer shows sudden dips to -100dbm (ie no signal). on my bed, the signal gets lost every couple minutes.

For me I have decided to go back to 2.2.1 since wifi is more important than battery life. ANyone with same issue?

5. garydee

garydee Lurker
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    I got 1,726 to 1,589 using Quadrant Standard (I ran it 4 times)- the phone feels like it. Extremely smooth and no jitter. Motorola X. Could it actually be that high?