• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"improve location accuracy" pop up plaguing me!!

Hi Peeps,

I have a Galaxy S7 running Android 8.0.0.

For the last week or so, I have been getting a pop-up asking me if I want to 'improve my location accuracy' when I open several different Apps (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc).

Each time, I click 'disagree' and the pop-up disappears, only to appear a few minutes later when I open another app.

Each time it happens, and I click disagree, i notice that my GPS has been turned on, so switch it off.

I dont want my location to be switched on by any app without me choosing to do so. The fact a pop up, appearing in multiple apps, is doing this is killing me.

Locating method is set to 'Phone only'. When I look at Recent Location Requests, Google Play Services and TMS service are frequently listed.

It's doing my head in!! I cannot find a way to stop this pop-up. Can anyone suggest anything?

I'm no technophobe, and this one's got me beat.

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:
My experience is that that BS tends to pop up when Maps is having trouble getting location, but I've never had it persist. Though I don't allow social media apps location access, so can't say whether that makes a difference. Most of these apps will use Google's location service to get the location fix, so Play Services appearing in the list isn't surprising. I've no idea what TMS is, so can't comment on that.

Obviously turning location off would put an end to it, but isn't what you want. Have you tried setting "improved accuracy" location for a minute then turning it off again? ("improved accuracy" in quotes because it doesn't really improve accuracy unless you can't see enough satellites to get a GPS fix in the first place). If something is glitched maybe that will unstick it.

Reactions: LyraRitsu
Upvote 0
My experience is that that BS tends to pop up when Maps is having trouble getting location, but I've never had it persist. Though I don't allow social media apps location access, so can't say whether that makes a difference. Most of these apps will use Google's location service to get the location fix, so Play Services appearing in the list isn't surprising. I've no idea what TMS is, so can't comment on that.

Obviously turning location off would put an end to it, but isn't what you want. Have you tried setting 'improved accuracy' location for a minute then turning it off again? ('improved accuracy' in quotes because it doesn't really improve accuracy unless you can't see enough satellites to get a GPS fix in the first place). If something is glitched maybe that will unstick it.

Hiya,
Thanks for the reply. 😊
I only ever put location on when I'm using Google maps as a sat Nav. Its just a battery drain otherwise, and I don't like apps or Google tracking my location too.

It's popping up quite regularly now, and turning location on each time whichever option I choose.

Starting to think I need to install some kinda 3rd party app to see which apps are initiating it - read a post about that the other day, but canny remember their suggested app.

Don't really fancy calling my carrier for tech support eithrr, as they'll just suggest the usual factory reset - although I'll do this as a last resort (takes bleeding ages getting my phone set up just right afterwards! #penicketymutha)

I also read a suggestion to uninstall and reinstall Google maps, but as its bloat ware I only get the option to disable/enable.

Getting to be a right pain in the arse now. Sigh...

Upvote 0
Disable/enable will remove all stored data for the app and all updates, so may make a difference.

I leave location in device only mode but on. GPS only uses power when used, so it's not draining the rest of the time (I did some experiments years ago and found no power saving in turning it off). Just wondered whether it being turned off is anything to do with the behaviour? I just deny location to any app I don't think needs it, turn off Google location history and also that Google app data option that provides them with a backdoor way of recording your location. And I don't use the wireless location stuff they are trying to get you to turn on as that does give them continuous access (which they used to explain more prominently, though it is still there if you look).

Upvote 0
Disable/enable will remove all stored data for the app and all updates, so may make a difference.

I leave location in device only mode but on. GPS only uses power when used, so it's not draining the rest of the time (I did some experiments years ago and found no power saving in turning it off). Just wondered whether it being turned off is anything to do with the behaviour? I just deny location to any app I don't think needs it, turn off Google location history and also that Google app data option that provides them with a backdoor way of recording your location. And I don't use the wireless location stuff they are trying to get you to turn on as that does give them continuous access (which they used to explain more prominently, though it is still there if you look).

Nice one, thanks. I might give that a go then. I've done the first two steps (ie. Review which apps have access to location, and turn off location history), but where do I close the backdoor via Google app data?

😊

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem for the last couple days.

When I turn gps on, and launch for example Google Maps, "improve location accuracy" pop up appears. If I select decline, it asks me again. If I select accept, phone starts to use wifi and mobile data.

The problem is, even though I chose the improved accuracy, it returns to "device only" somehow when I turn it on again. I turn gps off and then on again, and I see that it turned to "device only". Thus the same popup appears.

The problem might be related to some corrupt update of google play services. But if anybody has a solution, I'll appreciate.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Nice one, thanks. I might give that a go then. I've done the first two steps (ie. Review which apps have access to location, and turn off location history), but where do I close the backdoor via Google app data?

😊
You need to turn off "Web and app activity" in your Google settings. If you turn it off and on again you will see some text that tells you that it includes where you use apps, but unless you do that it doesn't explain this.

Upvote 0
So, quick update. I've left location turned on, and although the popups have subsided a little, they still happen every so often.

Sort your shit out Samsung and rectify the problem!

Sigh

FTFY I think.

Although FWIW I've never actually had this problem and don't know anyone else who has, on any Android device.

Upvote 0
If you're using Facebook app stop and disable or uninstall it from your device and use your browser to access it.
In my circle we call it f*ckbook because it screws around with everything on your device when it's installed. I am anti Facebook because it is highly notable as a data mining apparatus and if necessary only use it by browser and never install any of its apps.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem on my note 9, and had it on my note 8 too. No matter if i accept or decline, it turns my location on and i have to go back and turn it off right after. I click outside of it too with the same results. Sometimes I'm busy and only remember after my battery drains more quickly. I can't believe more people aren't aware of this issue. ..

Reactions: salahelkeibi
Upvote 0
I don't have an S7 but have and s5 active and have had an s3 and this drove me nuts until 2 weeks ago... (shows how long I've been trying to tame this beast) Location would turn itself on constantly... I had it turned off in EVERY application in the application manage.. still didn't stop... it even did it once in a while in safe mode... FINALLY tracked it down... to Google Play services for inst..... the rest won't show... but turning just the location off in that did NOT help... I turned of everything permission in there including phone and voila.. no more Location.. no more high accuracy.. but I have yet to experiment with turning Location on in apps and trouble shooting further... I don't think I'll bother as I use my phone only for phone and text... VERY little else...
Hope this helps someone on their way to exorcising this demon...

Upvote 0
Hi, it doesn't work. I turned off the all "improve accuracy" and left location setting on "high accuracy", but if I turn off the GPS and turn on again, the pop up shows again. Also, Google maps don't work without high accuracy. So what's the point. Does anyone have a solution for this? Not even Samsung know what to do.

Upvote 0
I don't think this is a Samsung only problem. Having the same exact symptoms on an LG V20 (found these forums from google)
welcome to AF!!!!!!

definitely not a samsung thing. i have a note 8 and do not have this issue.....but of course i have locations turned on. never saw a reason to turn it off.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Yeah, I just leave location on, in device only mode, and don't get this stuff. GPS only drains power when you are using it, not just from being turned on (I've spent days with current monitoring apps to test it and there is no difference between leaving it on or off), and I don't use wireless location anyway.

And for the guy who said that Google Maps doesn't work unless you are in high accuracy mode, er yes, it does. As said above, I only ever use device only mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones