• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"improve location accuracy" pop up plaguing me!!

This pops up whenever I use my S7 for anything and none of the solutions provided above work. Android's failure to address or stop this happening in the UK and probably many other countries could equate to Android facilitating the widespread breach of Data Protection laws.

After all, if we have selected not to allow any apps to monitor our location, but this is being overridden by one or more apps (and it comes on irrespective of whether you select yes or no) that's got to be a breach?

Reactions: LyraRitsu
Upvote 0
I wonder to what extent this depends on the manufacturer or Android version, or maybe on whether you have a carrier implementation of WiFi calling? Because even turning on WiFi calling (which I don't use, so would usually have off) I can't reproduce this (and I never allow Google to use wireless data for my location, i.e. the misleadingly-named "high accuracy"). It does seem that the reports are mostly from old phones and all from phones whose manufacturers heavily modify the android system, which makes me wonder how much is Google and how much is the manufacturer (or carrier)?

(Note: I'm not prone to defending Google. I have Google's data collection as completely disabled as it can be without rooting my phone and installing a ROM with no Google services, and have deep reservations about many aspects of their business).

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
I wonder to what extent this depends on the manufacturer or Android version, or maybe on whether you have a carrier implementation of WiFi calling? Because even turning on WiFi calling (which I don't use, so would usually have off) I can't reproduce this (and I never allow Google to use wireless data for my location, i.e. the misleadingly-named "high accuracy"). It does seem that the reports are mostly from old phones and all from phones whose manufacturers heavily modify the android system, which makes me wonder how much is Google and how much is the manufacturer (or carrier)?

(Note: I'm not prone to defending Google. I have Google's data collection as completely disabled as it can be without rooting my phone and installing a ROM with no Google services, and have deep reservations about many aspects of their business).

There probably is some dependence on carrier at play here. The bloatware they install and other things specific to carrier A vs B. I have a LG Venture X which is only 2 years old so it is fairly new. As I read this thread, the allow or not to allow WiFi calling did job my memory as I recently enabled it. So for my LH-700 (I think that is the model) turning the WiFi calling worked. Location services has not self enabled in the last 24 hours and the annoying pop up stopped. Don't ask me why as WiFi calling has nothing to do with Wifi calling but it worked so I am happy. Too bad I already reset my phone!

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Yeah, location turning itself on should never happen except in very particular circumstances (specifically if I'm trying to locate my device I'm OK if that can turn location on if needed, but it should return to its previous settings once that's done - and of course that should be entirely under my control, no-one else's, and should inform me if it is used).

Reactions: LyraRitsu
Upvote 0
I know that this is an old post, but I have had notifications and toasts pop up that drove me crazy before.

Even had a PITA toast message pop up when I opened the device, that said 'Screen On' for 10 seconds or more. The best part was that if I turned the screen off and on again real fast, there would be two toast messages saying 'screen off' and 'screen on'.

How stupid is that?

Reminds me of George Carlin, complaining about how light switches have 'off' and 'on' stamped onto them.

"If it's on, you can see that it's on- if it's off, you can't see to f-ing read!"

Anyway, a great way to discover the app that is triggering such irritation is to download an app called Toast Source.

It is small, simple, and tells you immediately what app is causing the message- even allowing access to the app settings of the culprit.

https://apkpure.com/p/pl.revanmj.toastsource

Upvote 0
I think Facebook is likely the culprit. I bought a brand new phone, the Facebook app is of course among the bloatware, but it hadn't been too much of a problem so I let it be. Ended up logging in because that's one of my methods of contact, for whatever reason they apparently can't include a messenger within the app so I had to install messenger. Used them for a while, suddenly I start getting that popup even though I denied it twenty times at least, and my phone's got major lag. I changed a took of settings, notification permissions, it was through Google Play Services but changing Google Play Services notification settings didn't fix it. The Facebook app does this funny thing where when I hit the button that shows the apps I opened and didn't close, Facebook didn't show up. Like I never opened it, sometimes Chrome would appear in its' place in that list. That makes me think it operates through other apps. If it does that why wouldn't it be sending popups through another app? In settings when you go to disable the Facebook app it tells you that some things might not work properly might misbehave. Wouldn't that mean it's apart of how the phone operates itself or had something to do with it? That combined with not having the option to uninstall it, seems like it to me. I uninstalled Messenger, disabled and force stopped Facebook, uninstalled Facebook's updates, force stopped and disabled it again and my phone is working like it did before I used them. Haven't had to deal with that annoying popup since and I didn't even have to restart my phone. I'm not sure if Messenger was causing the problem, but I'd rather not have it take up space and lag my phone, especially when I can use it online in a browser. Good luck guys! Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The message about stuff not working if you disable Facebook means nothing: you get that message if you disable any pre-installed app.

Facebook is a bloated, inefficient monster, and for that reason using it may affect your phone. But I have it enabled, don't allow wireless location, and don't get the messages that are the topic of this thread, so don't believe it's the cause of these messages.

Upvote 0
The message about stuff not working if you disable Facebook means nothing: you get that message if you disable any pre-installed app.

Facebook is a bloated, inefficient monster, and for that reason using it may affect your phone. But I have it enabled, don't allow wireless location, and don't get the messages that are the topic of this thread, so don't believe it's the cause of these messages.

Oof. Guess it's back to the drawing board. That flipping popup came back. Thanks for the info! I'm going to keep mine disabled, mainly because it's causing my phone to lag and taking up memory. I'm currently trying to find the settings someone else mentioned in another comment on this thread to change them and see if that helps. Could it be with the data saver or charger? It didn't come back until I plugged my phone up to charge it. I charge it off of a computer though, and the portion that says it turns on when battery saver is enabled makes me wonder about that. The volume of popups definitely decreased after I disabled fb though. Maybe more than one thing can trigger it?

Upvote 0
This pops up whenever I use my S7 for anything and none of the solutions provided above work. Android's failure to address or stop this happening in the UK and probably many other countries could equate to Android facilitating the widespread breach of Data Protection laws.

After all, if we have selected not to allow any apps to monitor our location, but this is being overridden by one or more apps (and it comes on irrespective of whether you select yes or no) that's got to be a breach?

Not sure. Technically it could get around it if it doesn't enable your location, I don't think it's illegal to ask even if they ask repeatedly unless it becomes harassment. Mine's interesting in the fact that it doesn't enable my location regardless of whether I click deny or accept. But the pop-up is still annoying and extremely distracting. I'm in America and I'm not sure about the UK's laws on it.

It's also pretty annoying that it pops up at random with no warning so you accidentally could click accept which happened to me but that's also how I figured out it doesn't turn it on regardless of what I select. There's also not an "Are you sure you want to enable this?" option. The message just disappears.

Upvote 0
I think that claims that this is illegal in the UK are wishful thinking. But something overriding settings is not normal, so it's not that the android OS does this routinely: if that is happening there is something odd on that member's particular phone (I say "if" because it's not clear from that post that settings are being changed - they complain about constant pop-ups, but don't clearly say that settings are being changed. It was a different member who reported that).

Upvote 0
I think that claims that this is illegal in the UK are wishful thinking. But something overriding settings is not normal, so it's not that the android OS does this routinely: if that is happening there is something odd on that member's particular phone (I say "if" because it's not clear from that post that settings are being changed - they complain about constant pop-ups, but don't clearly say that settings are being changed. It was a different member who reported that).

Oh.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones