• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Improve Voice Quality

travisr528

Android Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2009
Austin,Texas
Here is a fix I got from ppcgeeks. You need to call sprint and speak with tier 2 tech support and have them enable EVRC-B and set Home Orig to EVRC-B.

This improved voice clarity, and speaker phone quality as well. Volume also seemed to improve. I have not experienced any negative affects due to this change or any additional drain on battery life.

To view:
1) Open the phone dialer
2) Type ##DATA# or (##3282#) (do not need to press anything else)
3) When the screen pops up select view
4) Then select advance
5) Scroll down to you see EVRC-B and Home Orig (this is what need to be changed to improve voice quality).

To enable EVRC-B:
1) Open the phone dialer
2) Type ##DATA# or (##3282#) (do not need to press anything else)
3) When the screen pops up select edit
4) You will be prompted for a password.
5) Sprint will need to give you the password, the password is also your MSL#
6) enter # given and save for later (maybe usefull if you root)
7) Then select advance
8) Tap to enable EVRC-B and then tap Home Orig to set EVRC-B there as well.
9) Press menu and select "Commit Modifications" so that the changes take affect.
10) You can now exit by press back.

Hope this works for you.

BTW I was not having issues before, but I did notice this setting worked better for me. This is the most current speech codec used by CDMA networks.

Reactions: erikivy
Just to clarify, can I enable EVRC-B on my own without calling Sprint, or is there something they need to do on their end? I already have my MSL, so I know I can get in there.

Thanks.

Nevermind....I just tried it and was able to make the switch with no problem. It may be a placebo effect, but I just made a call and I think it actually is better. Time will tell. Thank you very much for posting this!

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, can I enable EVRC-B on my own without calling Sprint, or is there something they need to do on their end? I already have my MSL, so I know I can get in there.

Thanks.

Nevermind....I just tried it and was able to make the switch with no problem. It may be a placebo effect, but I just made a call and I think it actually is better. Time will tell. Thank you very much for posting this!
Yep no problem..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones