• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Improve your Call Quality

CaptJager

Android Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2010
Northwest, WI
Original post was by EJHART at ##Droidincredible over on freenode.net .

I claim NO credit for this. Just letting you all know.
I can confirm it made a huge different for me.

1. Go to Phone and Dial ##778
  2. Choose Edit Mode
  3. Password is 000000
  4. Go to CDMA Settings
  5. Scroll all the way to bottom
  6. Change Home Page, Home Orig, and Roam Orig from EVRC to EVRC-B
  7. Hit Menu and Commit Changes

Phone reboots and walla no more muffed voice calls!

tried this out.. what does "EVRC-B" even mean?

Its just an additional low bandwidth bitrate (1/4 rate @ 2kbit/s) audio codec not originally available in EVRC:

Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a comparison, Vonage bitrates are:

Low quality audio = 30kbit/s
Med quality audio = 60kbit/s
High quality audio = 90kbit/s

It will basically allow for an additional level of call quality for respective signal strength...fills a void so to speak.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
A little skeptical about this... Does it drain battery faster or hurt service in certain areas or incur additional charges? Why wouldn't verizon have this enabled?

It only adds the 1/4 rate codec, set at 2kbit/s, to the existing Full, half, and 1/8 rate codecs. Given that the "Full rate" is 8kbit/s, its not really an improvement, so much as you get to use the 1/4 rate instead of the 1/8 rate, in a marginal signal area. In that instance, it would be an improvement. It may smooth things out as the radio may not have to struggle to get the signal from 1/8 to 1/2 rate, and can just settle in the middle at the 1/4 rate.

Upvote 0
Original post was by EJHART at ##Droidincredible over on freenode.net .

I claim NO credit for this. Just letting you all know.
I can confirm it made a huge different for me.

1. Go to Phone and Dial ##778
  2. Choose Edit Mode
  3. Password is 000000
  4. Go to CDMA Settings
  5. Scroll all the way to bottom
  6. Change Home Page, Home Orig, and Roam Orig from EVRC to EVRC-B
  7. Hit Menu and Commit Changes
Phone reboots and walla no more muffed voice calls!

Found this mod elsewhere on the forum yesterday and did it.. Seems to have made a dramatic improvement to my INC call quality...

Upvote 0
I'm curious..what is you average signal strength at your house? Not the bars, the actual strength in dBm (menu-settings-about phone-network). If your dBm is -90 or higher on a regular basis, then this might help: Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

-85 to -92 usually. Texting and such is fine. The call quality isnt that good, but then again i have a land line for calls. My daughter has the verizon network booster cause she lost calls all the time but now has great service.

Reactions: moptart
Upvote 0
I only really have issues talking to people who are using MetroPCS and Boost Mobile phones, other than that I'm fine. I did this last night and just got off the phone with my MetroPCS friend and the call really did sound much better. Now I'm really close to a tower at the moment so that could have been it too. I'll talk to her when I'm at home tonight and not that close to the tower and see how things sound.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones