• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Improved copy-and-paste support?

Are you using the Swype keyboard? One way that improves your ability to select, navigate the cursor and cut/paste a little more accurately than trying to get the cursor in the right place with your finger....

On the Swype keyboard while in a text field swipe from Swipe key (extreme lower left) across to the 123/Sym key next to it. You then get the Editing overlay where you can cursor around, select and cut/paste a little easier.

I wish there was a basic single key undo also like the old palm had on text editing. That would be an improvement. There is an app called Cut/Paste but its not mature and it needs root access to work.

Attachments

• SC20110831-230331.jpg
    SC20110831-230331.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: FiveFreshFish
Upvote 0
How exactly can you improve on copy and paste? I was under the impression copy and paste is what it is?
You can improve the interface/mechanic by which you do copy and paste operations - text selection, cursor movement, etc.

Are you using the Swype keyboard? ...On the Swype keyboard while in a text field swipe from Swipe key (extreme lower left) across to the 123/Sym key next to it. You then get the Editing overlay where you can cursor around, select and cut/paste a little easier.
Great tip! I never knew about that Editing overlay.

Upvote 0
Well it's besides the point. I don't want to start quibbling about details. The question is, is there a way to improve the native Android copy and paste functionality?

im not particularly interested in quibbling either, the reason i asked u to be more specific is so that we could better help u fix ur problem..'improve' is a bit general, to me at least. especially when i find the copy paste to be fairly easy to use. but like i said, never used iOS before, so i wouldnt know wat android has missing

Upvote 0
im not particularly interested in quibbling either, the reason i asked u to be more specific is so that we could better help u fix ur problem..'improve' is a bit general, to me at least. especially when i find the copy paste to be fairly easy to use. but like i said, never used iOS before, so i wouldnt know wat android has missing
Fair enough. Well the biggest thing is that copy functions aren't available in all that many apps, although I suppose this isn't something that could be fixed by an app or ROM. Some notable omissions of apps that won't let you copy text - CNN, EverPaper, Wapedia, IMDb and many many more.

The second thing is that it's difficult to position the cursor. You have to stab at a position and hope you get it right but the problem is, your finger itself gets in the way making it hard to precisely position the cursor. Usually, you stab in the general direction and then have to grab the little cursor "handle" (itself not so easy to grab) then fine-tune the position. Even the fine-tuning is finicky, because if you move between lines, the cursor, seems to jump to random positions in other lines, instead of the closest vertical spot to the original position. Not to mention, the cursor handle sometimes doesn't even appear and I can't discern any logic as to when it does appear. Also, a quick stab will sometimes select a word rather than move the cursor, and again I can't figure out any pattern as to why it will do one or the other but it tends to be consistent and is very frustrating when you're trying to move the cursor and all it will let you do is select words. In iOS, you simply long-press a general area and you get a magnifying glass popup which makes it much easier to select the exact spot you want - this is all done in one continuous and efficient motion.
clippy12.jpg

Android does have a magnifying glass, but only for selecting words, which doesn't need as much help as positioning a cursor for editing.

The last thing is, it's difficult to select a word if there is a cursor in the editing field. If you long-press to select a word, it will select the word closest to the cursor, instead of the word you actually long-pressed on. If the word you want is far from the cursor, it's tedious to move the brackets. You can move the cursor first but then selecting a word becomes a two-part process. As you might guess, in iOS you just double-press any word anywhere on the page and it will select it, or the paragraph.

Beyond that, it's annoying that some programs seem to have their own custom copy and paste functionality - Polaris Office being one of them, as well as K9 Mail. I appreciate that they're trying to improve open the default functionality, but this is such a core feature it should really be done right by the OS so devs wouldn't feel the need for custom code.

Reading back through my post, it has become clear to me that my overall biggest gripe is the difficulty of quick and precise cursor positioning. I'm used to a single smooth, quick motion to move the cursor whereas I'm getting frustrated with what is a 2-step process at the minimum but can sometimes be a 3-6 step process as individual steps can go wrong.

Upvote 0
The problem I have with Polaris is that when trying to use those navigation keys they don't work... the cursor stays exactly where it is and doesn't budge. I have to use my very imprecise fnger to try to place it where I want. Anyone else find this and if not any clues as to what I can do to get them to work,

Upvote 0
Hiya I also wish it was better stock selection for copying seems sluggish n hit n miss at times,plus it only lets u copy a paragraph which can be a pain. I've tried copy txt app but its a pain as you have to enable it via pc overtime you switch your phone back on. I don't want to root my phone so root based apps are no good to me .

Upvote 0
Long press on any bit of text in the browser and it comes up with the option to select text. Once you have selected something you can copy.

that does not work in all browser and alot of other apps which is the issuse and sometimes if it does work with some apps its sluggish and only lets you copy a paragraph if there are empty lines between txt

could we plz have an in built copy n paste feature that works universally or an app that will do it? and one that is not just for rooted phones

Upvote 0
that does not work in all browser and alot of other apps which is the issuse and sometimes if it does work with some apps its sluggish and only lets you copy a paragraph if there are empty lines between txt

could we plz have an in built copy n paste feature that works universally or an app that will do it? and one that is not just for rooted phones

I never knew it was a problem on some browsers. I guess I've only tried the feature on Dolphin HD where it works perfectly. You can even copy as many paragraphs as you want.

Upvote 0
I recently moved from an HTC Desire HD to a Galaxy S II and was surprised that some of the editing features I was used to were missing. Not sure if HTC has added stuff to based Android or Samsung have left something out.
Features missing
- Magnifier to help position cursor.
- double tap to select word.
- tripple tap to select sentance
- no copy in calender apointment. (have to clcik edit and then select/copy)

Over all the HTC had much better select/copy/paste functionality and am disapointed that this is not stock android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones