• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Improving Locale?

qoncept

Nov 8, 2009
I thought Locale was a great idea until the first time I used it. I went to work, Locale turned off my ringer like it should, but then throughout the day I got notifications that it had turned it off 10 more times.

I work right in the middle of a big concrete building that probably creates a ton of interference. If I look at my location in google maps it can be all over the place, nowhere near the building I'm in (different cities, even). I hoped Locale would be smart enough to deal with this, but apparently not. Is there anything else I can do?

I did notice you can have it triggered when wireless networks are found, but I prefer to keep my wifi turned off and the networks aren't visible all over the building anyway.

I experienced pretty similar results... I think my issue is that my building is large enough that when i walk to and from the opposite sides, it goes in and out of work mode... I get the notification a bunch of times a day as well and actually didn't have my phone on mute / vibrate like it should have been at a point.

If there was a way to block off an entire area as a 'zone' then apply the settings to the zone, that might relieve some of our issues.

Your issue with jumpy GPS might just inevitably cause issues unless you can put in a wait period or a confirmed GPS movement before dropping you from the settings?

Upvote 0
Yeah, it makes sense.. But since GPS is so reliant on having an unobstructed line of site to the satellites, I would have thought they'd account for that. Like, I was never anywhere between here and Pittsburgh, so I must actually be in the same place I was all along and I'm just getting a funky reading.

So.. Considering my situation isn't very unique, it looks like Locale was a great idea, but so-so implementation.

Upvote 0
Locale was a bust for me because of this. You might try extending the circle but frankly I've often seen Locale have me 10-20 blocks from where I really am. Unless they can address the granularity it's just a fact that this is an idea ahead of its time right now.

Tower triangulation is interesting but likely to always be faulty.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones