• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Improving service

Gibson SG

Sep 1, 2011
I live in the Midwest, where all cellular carriers have spotty service. However, I have noticed that Virgin is worse than previous phones that my wife and I have used on US Cellular and Sprint. Even at best, I can only get 1x service and no 3G. When driving through the corner of Iowa, I will completely lose service for at least half of the drive.Over the holidays, we will be driving deep into the Southern part of Louisiana, and I would like to have service on the road just for security. I have been reading about PRL swaps, and am curious as to whether this could help me. Is this the best way of improving service?
Also, I am a Mac user. How does the PRL swap process change?

From what I've read about prl swapping, it does help but it can be hit or miss...it just depends if there are any towers you aren't connecting to. Keep in mind I'm nowhere near an expert on this. The best thing I could say would be read up on them some more and wait for some other input

Upvote 0
I live in the Midwest, where all cellular carriers have spotty service. However, I have noticed that Virgin is worse than previous phones that my wife and I have used on US Cellular and Sprint. Even at best, I can only get 1x service and no 3G. When driving through the corner of Iowa, I will completely lose service for at least half of the drive.Over the holidays, we will be driving deep into the Southern part of Louisiana, and I would like to have service on the road just for security. I have been reading about PRL swaps, and am curious as to whether this could help me. Is this the best way of improving service?
Also, I am a Mac user. How does the PRL swap process change?
I'd say the best way to improve service would be to go with a carrier known for it's massive coverage area like Verizon. If you are spending a lot of time driving through the nether regions of middle America, wouldn't it be worth looking at? I checked their map and both the post and pre paid look totally covered/blanketed. I considered Verizon, but I never drive unless I rent a car for traveling. Everywhere I've traveled to since getting VM has been solid. But I can't say I've been to Radar O'Reilly land recently :)

Upvote 0
I'm not really sure about PRL swapping as I've never done it, but from what little I've read about it Weddle pretty much stated in his post.

I can tell you my own experience with VM while traveling on my recent vacation though. My boyfriend picked me up in Tacoma Washington (home) and on the way to Chicago (his house) I lost service completely just outside of Idaho after crossing into Montana. I had no service clear through Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and did not regain service again till I was almost all the way through the bottom area of Minnesota.

After dropping my computer off at his place and resting for a week, we left Chicago and went down to New Orleans. I had service the entire time. When we left there we went through Texas where I only lost service a few short times. From there to New Mexico I only lost service a few short times. In Colorado I only lost service while we were way way up in the mountains in Estes Park. Service was non existent again in South Dakota as we made our way back to Chicago.

My boyfriend has Verizon. He lost service while we were up in the mountains at Estes Park and I think for a very short time somewhere in Texas.

If Verizon would offer my exact plan that I have with VM and my exact phone.. that's where Id be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones