1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

In app ads, worth it?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by qasimValent, Sep 4, 2011.

1. qasimValent

qasimValent Newbie

Ive seen alot of discussions about in app ads not making money,

Yet so many applications feature them...

are they actually worth it? I would love to hear developers who have used them and if one app can generate a few hundred bux a month??

Thank you

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Android Expert

The majority of revenue seen from mobile apps is from advertising. this is why many high-profile applications use a business model consisting of in-app advertising with a free price tag.

3. neilvb

neilvb Lurker

Yes, it's worth it, but only if you've got something that people want to use or like, which will put eyeballs on the ads.

I find about 1 ad is clicked for every 50 shown in my app, though the payout per click varies wildly.

Mine's educational and the ads are on-screen all the time, so there's plenty of opportunity for someone to click. A game might be different though because the user would be busy playing and may not notice the ad, so I'd expect the click rate to be lower.

I've also got a paid version of my app because some people hate ads so much, they'd pay to get rid of them, or not use the app.

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

It can work both ways though. It depends A LOT on what the purpose of the app is. If it is a tool or utility, then ads will be seen less often. If it's a content based app (rss reader, game, newspaper) then ads will be seen very often.

For example, PowerAmp made millions from a Paid app, while Angry Birds made millions from ad-based apps.