1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!
  2. We apologize for the disruption in email services! They are sending out now, but there is a backlog, so it may take a little time to catch up.

Tips In car chargers

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 2badmice, Dec 2, 2013.

1. 2badmice

2badmice Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Male
    Quality & Compliance Officer
    Blackpool, UK
    I have a charger for my car that I purchased when I had my HTC Desire HD, however it seems to not really add any life to my battery.

If my phone requires charging and I need to use navigation or make voice calls then by the end of a 30 minute journey the phone has not gained any extra life. I think the amp on the charger isn't suitable for this handset.

I've seen that the official chargers from Samsung are

Advertisement

2. trucky

trucky Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2012
    Male
    Asheville, NC
    The S4 likes to see a 2 amp charger, minimum of 1.5 amps to stay even if you're using any apps.

2badmice likes this.
  3. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Male
    Seattle
    After the upgrade to 4.3 you probably also need to have a heavy gauge cord. I have a 2.1 amp charger which only works with certain USB cables. In fact, it's possible the OP's phone isn't charging at all with that device--they should check the battery icon when it's plugged in.

This combination works for me, as would the 2.1 adaptor and the white USB cable which comes with the S4.

Amazon.com: PNY P-P-DC-UF-K01-GE 12 Volt 2.1 Amp Rapid USB Car Charger - Black: Electronics

Amazon.com: Monoprice 3-Feet USB 2.0 A Male to Micro B 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable with Ferrite Core: Computers & Accessories

2badmice likes this.
  4. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I use a stock OEM wall charger and cord. (Cost more, but worth the money in the long run.) It still charges the phone when using voice turn by turn navigation and streaming music at the same time. (No over heating either.) I tried using my OEM charger from my Atrix 4G, since I had an extra one, and it wouldn't even charge my S4, when doing any of the above task.

2badmice likes this.
  5. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I'm using one of the wireless chargers. Naturally that requires that you've added wireless charging capability to your phone.
    I agree with others that your old charger simply doesn't have the output required by the S4 (or likely, any 'flagship' phone these days).

2badmice likes this.