• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

In Car Entertainment?

Nick The Great

Jun 3, 2010
Iowa
Hello All,

I have a question or just discussion request for an issue I'm having.

My goal is to have some sort of in car entertainment for my young daughter (2 years old). So far we've typically done a tablet on a bracket in front of her. Works fine with downloaded movies. But one of us, usually my wife, has to keep bending and twisting around to control the tablet if the movie ends, or my daughter touches the screen and messes up.

What I'd really like is the ability to cast from a phone to her tablet screen. I'm not opposed to dongles on her tablet, but nearly every solution I've found require Wi-Fi connection. Miracast or something might work, but that's more of a screen mirroring deal. Which is slightly less than ideal.

I've recently stumbled on the RAVPower Filehub or competitor, which creates a "direct" Wi-Fi connection. Which is close, but not any control of the tablet itself. But is the best solution I've found thus far.

I don't want to buy a new headunit for the car. My truck does have Android Auto if that helps, but our car does not. Not sure if that's relevant anyway. I'm not opposed to a WiFi hotspot, but I don't really want to chew up data when local videos would work just fine. But both vehicles have USB ports galore, so powering various devices isn't a problem to me.

A lot of words here, but I'm hoping there's just a product out there that I haven't found yet.

There's ways to do it if you have a WiFi network. Which my truck does have WiFI (for a few months longer) but I really don't want to utilize the data for it, though. And then my wife's car doesn't have it anymore either.

There's also ways to wireless play videos on the tablet from another device, but thats all controlled on the tablet.

I'm probably looking for something that doesn't exist because there isn't a huge demand for it. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones