1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

In China without WiFi... need some help!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by sixstringedmatt, May 30, 2011.

1. sixstringedmatt

sixstringedmatt Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    Grad Student
    DC
    Hi guys, A few things here that I will try to cover somewhat fast. I am in China without 3G/WiFi. I have a hardline internet connection to my computer and I want to connect to the internet with my phone (which I am using with a basic China SIM card). I tried creating an Ad-Hoc network, the phone can see it, but can't connect. Connectify also doesn't work... I am not sure if this is me doing something wrong, or limitations within the internet connection I am using. Any help would be great. Other than that, I was writing in hopes that someone could post some .apks for me -- the .apk for updated, FREE Chinese handwriting software for Android (no illegal stuff, please.) I have tried gPen and HanWriting, and wish there was something more intuitive similar to the iPhone/PLECO software (although I realize PLECO just came out with a beta). Any help would be great, I know TouchPal is out there and some others, but without Market Access/WiFi, I can't really do too much. Thanks!!

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    This maybe the problem. Some devices can't connect to an 'Ad-Hoc' network, it must be 'Infrastructure' for them to work. For an 'Infrastructure' WiFi network you'll need a router. Which is what most people do who need a WiFi network. As Chinese ISPs usually only provide a DSL modem, which one connects to via PPPoe and Ethernet.

Having a NAT router is always good practise anyway, rather than putting a PC straight onto the open internet, especially in China.

Sorry can't help you with the APK, but you should know that the Android Market in China only has free apps, NO paid. Although your free APK should be no problem, once you've got connected.

3. sixstringedmatt

None

Feb 28, 2010
    Grad Student
    DC
    The connection to my room is just a plug that goes straight to my computer, I don't think it will allow/I would want a router, so that may be out of the question. I do realize China only has free apps in the market. What is the reason for that? Piracy? Thanks for the tips.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Are you in a hotel or something? They can't really stop you plugging a router in, and by enabling internet connection sharing on your PC, you're turning it into a 'router' anyway, albeit one which only has 'Ad-Hoc' support.

Maybe you could find some free WiFi at a McDonald's or Starbucks? :)

Google only operates a paid Market in certain countries, China not being one of them. Google's situation with the Chinese Government has always been at a knife-edge anyway, due to censoring, rules, etc. Paid apps here are normally distributed via the carriers.

5. sixstringedmatt

None

Feb 28, 2010
    Grad Student
    DC
    Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply, internet has been real slow (and classes real intense) so I haven't had time to revisit this thread until now. I got Connectify to finally work -- I am in a hotel while I study at ZheDa.

If you have some time, I had a few questions about what you do (if you mod your phone at all) about downloading icon packs, etc. as they are all hosted on sites such as Rapidfire, Megaupload, and other inaccessible sites.

Best,
    Matt

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Hi Matt.

Sure I don't mind telling you and the forum what I do here. I'm an English teacher currently working in a large Mongolian middle school, 3500 students, 60+ in a class. You can probably get an insite into what I do here from my MobileMe gallery MobileMe Gallery MobileMe gallery been one of te few western picture hosting sites which is freely available in China. I've been in China for almost 2 years now.

I've not chosen to mod or root my phone, apart from installing 2.2 Froyo when I first got it. Mainly because it's my essential communications device and PDA, and is working just fine as it is.

The best way to get past the censoring, Great Firewall of China, is to have a paid VPN in the US or the UK. You can easily access sites like Megaupload, etc, by using a free web proxy like undoblock.com or daveproxy.co.uk. Although these don't work with things like Youtube or Facebook very well.

Enjoy your stay in China.

Mike.

7. sixstringedmatt

None

Feb 28, 2010
    Grad Student
    DC
    Hey Mike,

That sounds fantastic -- do you have a decent working Chinese knowledge then?

I feared that the VPNs were my only option. I did not think I needed one because I don't care about twitter/FB/etc. but I had no idea the file sharing sites were blocked! Let me know if you come across any other Android resources that we can access outside of these forums (to keep this thread on topic!) Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further. Thanks again for your insight!