• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help In desperate need of help (SGS)

AdamB2904

Lurker
May 31, 2011
Last night i tried to update my samsung galaxy s through samsung kies. During the upgrade the staus bar reached 3% and kies froze and my phone screen turned pink. After an hour of nothing happening i shut down kies and disconnected the phone, when i tried to turn the phone on all i see is :
239055.jpg

If i try the three button combo to get into recovery mode after a few secs the screen goes blank and then the same icon appears, when i open kies it gives me a pop up for emergency firmware recovery, but says i need to get the phone into recovery mode (which isnt working) and it seems my pc is no longer recognising my ohone as even being plugged in.
o2 say it will take two weeks to come back if they send it to samsung and EVERYTHING wll be gone.

Is there anything i can do to get it back.
Any help HUGELY appreciated
Thanks

Adz

nope, nothing. it just goes to a blank screen for a second then comes back to that icon. As if its trying to go into recovery or reboot or somethong but it just cant, the guy in o2 was saying he thinks the old firmware was erased but crashed before the new firmware was installed to in theory it has no software on it. It doesnt know what to do =(

Upvote 0
Here are some helpful suggestions to get your phone usable again. unfortunately, going back to recovery will most likely wipe your phone anyway, although the data on the SD card should still be okay.

I dont have odin. Is it worth doing? I dont want to do it and if it doesnt work o2 refuse to repair it because iv voided the warranty by installing unofficial software?

Upvote 0
I dont have odin. Is it worth doing? I dont want to do it and if it doesnt work o2 refuse to repair it because iv voided the warranty by installing unofficial software?

It's up to you. Yes it works. The JF6 version flashes back to Android 2.1, the way the Captivate came out of the box as if you just brought the phone home. I've done it a few times with AT&T and it never had a problem detecting the network during initial setup, although i have read some UK owners needed to manually enter the settings for their particular network. Sorry, I don't recall if it was O2 or not.

As for your warranty, it will either work or not. If it works you don't need to replace the phone. If it doesn't, the phone won't boot so they'd have to reflash it anyway. Since it was a Kies error to begin with, the warranty should still be in force (as long as you still are within the warranty period.)

Upvote 0
ok, if i do this will everything go, including apps? thats what i want to keep really. there is some data in one of my apps that i really want to keep, but if it undo-able, then il try odin.

What do i need to do, just download odin? will that have everything i need or will i need to download other programmes too?

Upvote 0
ok, if i do this will everything go, including apps? thats what i want to keep really. there is some data in one of my apps that i really want to keep, but if it undo-able, then il try odin.

What do i need to do, just download odin? will that have everything i need or will i need to download other programmes too?

The short answer is "it depends". Usually app data get's stored in a folder specific to the app. If it's stored on the SD card (or sd partition, in the case of the Captivate) then it would still be there even if the app itself gets removed. You will have to reinstall your apps, but as long as you sync with the same gmail account, you won't have to pay for the paid ones again.

As far as i remember all you will need is Odin3 and the drivers for the captivate. If you've already connected the captivate to the PC drivers should already be installed.

Upvote 0
The short answer is "it depends". Usually app data get's stored in a folder specific to the app. If it's stored on the SD card (or sd partition, in the case of the Captivate) then it would still be there even if the app itself gets removed. You will have to reinstall your apps, but as long as you sync with the same gmail account, you won't have to pay for the paid ones again.

As far as i remember all you will need is Odin3 and the drivers for the captivate. If you've already connected the captivate to the PC drivers should already be installed.

The Captivate is a different phone is it not?

Upvote 0
Did you put it in download mode? (hold down volume down+power+home button)

It doesn't do anything, it just flashes black and then the phone - ! - PC icon appears again, i dno if its because it really is dead or if its one of those sgs's that doent go into recovery or download mode using the three buttons. Thats what iv heard anyway??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones