• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

in desperate need of help!!

TeamPaul

Lurker
Jan 22, 2016
Hi guys!

I hope this isn't too long, but I just need to explain the situation. Please note, I'm a complete newbie with rooting etc, and have no interest in it, so please don't throw complicated terms or questions at me lol.

So, I bought a second hand phone after someone smashed my first contract note 3, then my second phone bricked out of nowhere, now I have more bad news.

I bought another second hand note 3, that was in mint Condition and it took me a while to figure out it was rooted. I assume someone used it as a toy and got bored, so decided to sell it on.

It had SuperSu already installed and I didn't think it was anything to begin with. So, I downloaded snap chat and it didn't work, after days of emailing the support team, they finally told me if a users phone is rooted snap chat will block the login. So then I took it to Google to find out how to check if you phone was rooted. In the search, super su appeared, and I figured that was pretty much my answer that my phone was rooted. So I then checked how to unroot. It told me to go to the settings of super su, and do full uninstall. After waiting for over 12 hours, it finally finished. I restarted the phone and it appeared that nothing had changed.

I still can't use apps like snap chat or make software updates, yet some root checkers tell me there is no root access, while another tells me the root isn't installed correctly. So to me, that means I have half a root? I tried to reroot the phone using super su, but it tells me there is no binary.

Now I have no idea what to do. I'm stuck in this mess, where I can't get rid of root but I can't use the phones update features etc.

Hope this all made sense, please help! !!

Thanks!
Paul

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
FYI, Snapchat doesn't block root, it only actually blocks Xposed. If you don't particularly care if it's rooted or not you can just flash the correct Xposed uninstaller zip and you should be able to get into Snapchat.
I have never had a note so don't know the correct version or how to get into the recovery. I'll just leave this here so that someone with knowledge on these devices can explain what to do if this is what you want to do, literally a 2 minute job.

Upvote 0
Easy solution.... Since you want updates as well as Snapchat to work. Download the firmware from sammobile for your device by model number, download Odin. Then power off the phone, hold volume down, home and power at the same time. Press volume up at the custom OS warning.

Plug the phone in open Odin choose PDA or AP depending on the Odin version you're using. Choose the firmware you downloaded.
Press start and it will reboot like new.

Note: This will do a data wipe on your device. Backup anything important prior to doing this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones