1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

In light of recent events...

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Affairs' started by amlothi, Jan 14, 2011.

1. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Subscribed.

PS - I didn't edit the post above, but rather hit its edit instead of my own by mistake. The post stands as originally submitted.

3. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert

The truth of the matter is its true. The deep divisions in America are what us going to destroy this great country. The violent political swings are scaring business. My true belief is that most Americans are closer to the muddle than either party.

4. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday

Are there any Democrats that advocated violence towards Republicans like this?

5. Crude

Crude Android Expert

6. Crude

Crude Android Expert

William is severely disturbed individual who should probably be ordered to submit to the same psych evaluation the shooter should have seen. The sheriff knew of this guys behavior and did nothing....the liberal nut job he is. For that matter the shooter was NOT a conservative. We've established this a long time ago. And lastly no one is to blame here but the shooter himself.

Here's another opinion piece:

7. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Loughner should have been placed in a mental institution years ago! He has a record of making death threads and is well known with the Pima County Sheriffs department.

RPT-Arizona suspect had made death threats-sheriff | Reuters

The fact that he was left on the streets and not institutionalized contributed to this tragedy.. and much of Dupniks rhetoric is purely a feeble attempt to protect his political career. And the saddest part is that Dupnik's comments are likely going to aid Loughners defense attorney to claim insanity.

Could Sheriff's comments help build insanity defense? - KGUN9 On Your Side, Tucson News, Weather & Sports

I'm thinking that Dupnik needs to start thinking about retiring...

Crude likes this.
  8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Remember our motto - attack issues and not other posters.

Everyone has a right to their opinion and to express it on this topic within the bounds of the forum rules, links in my sig, above.

You want to question what you think is garbage, fine. You want to question the people posting a view contrary to your own - against the rules.

It's that simple - and to the next person trying this - we agree that no matter how you pretend otherwise, you've read this and failure to comply will be met with the higher infraction of failure to heed a mod's warning.

And no one will have need of replying to the above comment unless replaced or edited to follow the rules.

9. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

Yes, the shooter pulled the trigger ( allegedly, innocent until proven guilty and all that).

It's certainly a stretch to say that the far right caused this tragedy. In that respect, the opinion piece I posted goes a bit further than I am comfortable with.

However, I thought the main point of the piece was worth discussing.

Whether you are left or right, R or D, it's really hard to ignore that the divisions in our country are growing.

Try to be objective and ask yourself, who is responsible for this?

I would argue that there are individuals (in politics, in the media, etc.) who are actively trying to incite hatred of the "other side" and split our country down the middle for their own benefit.

How do we stop it? When do we, as a people, stop listening to this BS?

I was hopeful that, after the recent elections, we would see the two sides coming together again - to work together. I was hoping we get more civilized discourse if they are forced to share power. That doesn't seem to be what is happening.

I used to vote republican. I voted for GWB the first time. After I saw what was becoming of our country, I started to shift to the left.

I consider myself in the middle, and I'll vote either way depending on what I believe is best for our country.

However, right now the Republicans are not doing anything to win me back.

All this talk about repealing the health care bill... you do realize there is NO chance of that happening right? There is no way you would ever get enough votes to override a presidential veto. You think Obama is going to sign off on repealing his own landmark achievement?

At best, the Republicans are doing nothing but wasting time, money, and energy on this. I wish they would put that effort into something else.

This kind of political posturing, regardless of which side is doing it, drives me nuts.

We have REAL problems in this country. When is someone going to DO something about them?

All I get is "talk talk talk fear fear fear burn burn burn". Meanwhile, there are people out there that are waiting for a solution from our government.

Greatest country on earth? *Scoff*

ElasticNinja likes this.
  10. Crude

Crude Android Expert

Parties aside, accountability is shot in the usa. That's the real issue.

11. Snedd

Snedd Well-Known Member

Wired have an article up about Martin Luther King's Nobel prize lecture, quote:

12. Crude

Crude Android Expert

The government isn't the solution, it's the problem.

13. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert

sigh

the cavemen had it all worked out so much better

14. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast

Wow, I despise Sarah Palin(for her actions completely unrelated to the tuscon incident), but calling her or anyone on the right responsible for this is a bit much. I would blame religious rhetoric for more bloodshed than politics could come close to, but that's another story for another thread.

I do agree with one thing. The split caused by naming ourselves right or left, democrat or republican is destroying america. I think we would be better off never using a party to describe ourselves. Argue the issue, don't hide behind your party and agree with everything they say(or they are paying you to say).

Sweet Chaos and InstantKarma like this.
  15. alex51

alex51 Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed of nearly all in politics,many if not most spew half truths as facts,don't want people to have all necessary info. and are flat out liars,I'm disgusted by the bs..Tea Party,Repub.party,Indep.party,Dem.party and all other looney tunes party,how can anyone believe any of them. We all share in the downward spiral ,we've allowed our country to go down the tubes by greed,selfishness and especially my baby boomer generation that held so much promise,have given in,given up & have not fought the good fight,how could any of us be proud of ourselves.
    I'm not saying this because of the original post here,none of us have done nearly enough to help our community our country and most of all we haven't helped our selves to become the best we could be and if we all look deep enough,we all seem to think someone else should have done it for us,instead of doing it for ourselves.We owe it to ourselves & our kids to do better in our lives and anything less is not enough.
    Yes,I know I've ranted too much here,I'm just feed up with the blame bs,most all of us are less than what we should be by our own choosing,no one else's fault and until we take ownership to that single & simple truth,well enough said.I'm sorry for the out burst,it just flowed out.

16. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Android Expert

Whole-heartedly agree. It wouldn't work, but I agree.

17. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday

Completely agree. I wish we had an Independent as President so at least he/she would not have to follow a party.

18. hakr100

hakr100 Android Expert

Under our system, an "indy" president would be kissing the backside of one side or the other to get anything done, just as it is today. You cannot govern without alignments. Unfortunately, too many in our current Congress are so far over to one side, they are only able to follow doctrine, and the good of the country be damned.

19. cjr72

cjr72 Android Enthusiast

Of all the articles I've read about the coverage of the shooting this one probably sums up my feelings the best:
    The Giffords Shooting, The Instant Politicization of Everything, & Why Americans Increasingly Hate Dems & Reps - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

*Emphasis mine

It also does a good job of articulating why I've never joined a political party and probably never will.

20. dark4181

dark4181 Well-Known Member

More's the pity that if you want to vote, they still make you register as Democrat or Republican. At least in TN, they don't give you Independent as an ("official") option.

I found the letter in the OP a bit to full of hate-speak for my taste, and it was obvious which side of the aisle the author sits on. The second letter further down aligns more closely with my views.

I haven't identified as Republican in quite a while, though I do fall into the conservative majority in more than 75% of issues, especially those regarding finance.

Plainly said, I'm sick of this government, I wish we could vote them all out and start again, but that would require the ignorant masses to become less ignorant.

21. cjr72

cjr72 Android Enthusiast

Luckily here in Texas we don't have to register with a party to vote.

22. Crude

Crude Android Expert

This holds true for me too. I used to be republican, but they leave a foul taste in my mouth....

23. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert

at least you didnt have 40% of turned out voters voting for Fianna F

24. hakr100

hakr100 Android Expert

Who, pray tell, are the "ignorant masses"?