1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

In-Line for a New Phone (VZW)

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by wdeister08, Aug 26, 2011.

1. wdeister08

wdeister08 Newbie
    None

Aug 26, 2011
    What should I get? A friend of mine who is a manager & sales-rep of a VZW store has recommended the Charge or Revolution. But being the curious person I am I began investigating if any new technologies were coming out. Low and behold I come to discover the Bionic and it's release date of less than 2 weeks away. As well as rumors of a GalaxyS2, iPhone5, and Nexus Prime.

Now I'm going to be honest I've never had a smart phone, my current phone is the LG EnvTouch. The Touch screen is awful compared to even my iTouch and my friend assures me any touch screen now is better than the POS one I currently have. I plan on getting a keyboard-less phone (hardware buttons can go either way) unless someone can give me a good reason to get a sliding keyboard phone or a crackberry.

I enjoy playing games, I frequently check sports, and news from dozens of sites on 4 different sports both domestic and international. I frequently trade emails, txts, and enjoy the odd video now and then and if I can find something with enough internal memory + SDcard capabilities to store songs on to replace my iTough & 1st Gen iPod Video.

The concerns I had reading up on the Charge were the interface called Touchwiz? was supposedly lagging at certain times and browsing could be problematic with Java enabled - Good if it gets rid of ads but bad if it gets rid of other things that are useful. Haven't read up much on the Revolution so I can't comment.

I'd love to hear people's opinions who have knowledge of the stuff to give me advice on what they think I should get with solid reasoning or point me to places where I can do the research for myself. Also if you have any info on other phones on VZW that are coming out that I haven't heard of or read up on that are confirmed to be released prior to November I'll be happy to hear about it.

Thanks for all the happily, much appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Eaglesfan9106

Eaglesfan9106 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Is suggest sgs2 or nexus prime but if U need a phone soon Def sgs2 it has the fastest processor out and the screen is amazing not Gunna lie I'm more partial to htc sense though that's why I have the EVO 3d but u can't go wrong with the sgs2 try it out if I'm not mistaken u have 14 days to change Ur mind if need be

3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    That's not how it works. You need to supply your needs and wants. We can't tell you what are good reasons for you. This whole process is about finding a device suitable for you -- not for us.

With the UI's you need to acquaint yourself with the options and to determine your preference for (or not for) the options out there.

Again, it's really just a matter of finding a device that has the features that you want/need. You don't mention any preferences for any physical characteristics such as size, weight, form factor, "build quality", screen, etc and people tend to have strong preferences in these areas. I suggest getting out there to figure out what you prefer.

The more criteria you can provide, the more you can focus your search.

4. wdeister08

wdeister08 Newbie
    None

Aug 26, 2011
    The physical appearance of a phone for me isn't so important. 4-4.3" screen would be preferred. A solid display and a battery life where moderate-slightly heavy usage that gives me about 10-14 hours would be desired as well. I want a phone that can handle heavy usage everyday and won't be bogged down when I begin loading it up. Also the internet browsing capabilities need to work flawlessly or as near flawless as one could hope.

I thought I gave clear enough specifications for what I wanted out of a phone but I hope that helps. My choices really have been narrowed down to the Charge, Revolution, Bionic, wait and see on the Prime or if someone can seriously recommend a Blackberry as an alternative I'd consider it.

5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Welcome to Android Forums! Compared to your LG EnvTouch, any Android phone is going to seem amazing.

You really need to go to the Verizon store and play with each phone in person, to get an idea of what you may like or want.

6. mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    ^he (takeshi) gets a little pissy sometimes, don't mind him.

The Touchwiz lag is greatly exaggerated, and not everyone hates it. You will not find a better screen than the Charge, at least until the SGS2 comes out (which, unfortunately, will not be out on Verizon.) No one is really knows whether the Nexus Prime is really going to go to Verizon, either, and you could possibly be waiting until December for that anyway. There are a huge number of better phones than the Charge, but they are on other carriers. The Charge has reportedly great battery life, though. I'm not sure when the Bionic comes out, but I think these are your best 2 choices on Verizon right now/in the near future.

ETA: I would not touch the Revolution with a 10 foot pole. It's been Binged.

7. wdeister08

wdeister08 Newbie
    None

Aug 26, 2011
    What does "Binged" mean? I have to use the search engine Bing over Google? I actually prefer Bing as google has often lead me to obscure results that have nothing to do with what Im referring to.

My only concern with the Charge is it's almost 6 months old (i know that's snobbish to say) and I don't want to be the kid who gets the new (old) phone and then the Bionic comes out and I look like a jackass cause I couldn't sit for two weeks. But from the negative comments people say on here and from what my friend (the VZW rep) says about Motorola phones on VZW it seems like the Bionic could be a gamble.

8. mamawm

mamawm Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    the charge is a great phone, my husband has one and i've been drooling for the last 2 months. when i compare the phones i just can't get past the screen on the charge, nothing else comes close. i like what i've seen of touch wiz, it doesn't seem nearly as invasive as sense on the htc devices. but is all comes down to how you use your phone, it's personal preferrence,

9. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Binged means Verizon changed the default search engine from Google to Bing.

Most people prefer Google search results as they are far more accurate and complete. But if you prefer Bing, you can easily do that too on any Android phone you have.

10. audiohavoc

audiohavoc Newbie
    None

Oct 17, 2010
    I selected the LG Revolution and it got it for $169.99. For that price, I am very happy with it, and it is a massive upgrade over my old HTC Droid Eris.