• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

In my day ...

I can remember my father mowing our yard with one of these when I was a little guy.
10758758_0.jpg

50 bonus points to the first person that knows what it's called. :)

There was a smaller version of the Scythe called a Grass Whip. Growing up my City Park Dept would hire kids (12-15) in the summer for two weeks to use Grass Whips to make new walking trails in parks. We were paid $40 a week.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Side note: we have an old Howard Miller grandfather clock that my Darling Bride had purchased new in 1990. Within a couple of years, her shyster sister had conned her out of it. It was a point of contention for decades. Shortly before sister's death in 2020, she offered it back to my wife, provided we go to Missouri to get it. It was in absolute shambles and needed almost as much repair & restoration as it had cost new (probably more in equivalent dollars). Today, though, it's a showpiece in our living room and I have the pendulum so tweaked that it's accurate to 15-30 seconds a week. I'm content with that...

:)

Upvote 0
My father had a few grandfather and grandmother clocks through the years. Mostly he was into Seth Thomas double dial clocks. One dial face kept the time and the other date, month, and day. Fascinating and fairly accurate for their time. Most were made between 1860 and 1900. Here is a typical pic of the majority of clocks I have.
H2000-L167934338.jpg

Upvote 0
Speaking of the good ol days, remember when you could use a bumper jack to raise your vehicle to change a tire? Use one on a modern auto and you'd rip the bumper off.

I sure do. That has changed to the frame under the car. I think air bag sensors are in the bumpers now

Upvote 0
Speaking of the good ol days, remember when you could use a bumper jack to raise your vehicle to change a tire? Use one on a modern auto and you'd rip the bumper off.
That sweet sound and satisfaction when you had it letting the car down on its own.
Back when people knew how to read a map! Nowadays people drive right into lakes because Siri told them to...
:p
I still carry an atlas. If my GPS device, whatever it is, goes kaput, I can still get wherever I'm going.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones