• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

In my day ...

I like grapes :)

I like that. There's a lot to be said for getting some real world experience of working, before settling on a career to study. To start with, you might not actually like the working environment or culture. I think we tend to railroad kids into a path of study, before they're even mature enough, or have the knowledge to know what they want to do. After all, your working career will span over 40 years, and getting longer as time goes on!

Lol yes very true! :D

I love my career just sometimes the stress is just so high at times but I really love it though :D

Yes very very true what you say! Sometimes the youth just get rushed into a career and they end being so depressed with life and all that.

I am glad I got out of IT - I was not so happy there much happier in industrial engineering! :D

I am glad you love grapes! XD but I hope I am not the sour kind of grape that nobody loves and wants to avoid! xD

I want to make people smile not cry lol :)

Thank you for your kind words! :D

Upvote 0
Being born in the 2000s, It'll kinda be weird. Because everyone will vivdly remember what I mention.

At our ages, most of us won't vividly remember anything. ;)

This thread is about "your day" which wasn't all that long ago, but nobody's perspective is wrong (except for @Mikestony , but he's wrong on so many levels, we gave up :p ;) )

Upvote 0
We didn't record live TV for 20+ years until VHS arrived and prices dropped enough that we could Rent a VHS Machine!

If you missed a program there were very few re-runs.
I guess most people then had regular work and home lives and fitted the TV schedules into tthem.

Also outside of the capital city of Dublin on the east coast which had coverage of UK TV Channels, on the south coast we just had RTE 1, and later RTE 2.

The national newspapers had listings for the UK channels, and for years I didn't know what M*A*S*H was like.

-------
(previous post removed for propriety, and embarrasment.... for Helmut, ja?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
In my day we had real men's computers, not these mamby-pamby tablets, laptops, and phones

computerdeal89.jpg

Upvote 0
In my day we had real men's computers, not these mamby-pamby tablets, laptops, and phones

View attachment 132623
My first Tandy had an 8086 chip with a math coprocesser. 512k or RAM upgradable to 640k. I did have a 720k 3 1/2 inch floppy, which was cool though.

Upvote 0
I'm jealous. My first PC was an Atari 800. No ram.. external tape drive. :) TV for monitor.
images
My first PC was similar, though I don't remember exactly which Atari it was. I remember typing a million (OK, probably a couple hundred) lines of code to make a waving American flag show up on my TV. :D My post above was my first Tandy. :p

Upvote 0
My first PC was similar, though I don't remember exactly which Atari it was. I remember typing a million (OK, probably a couple hundred) lines of code to make a waving American flag show up on my TV. :D My post above was my first Tandy. :p
Oh man yes. Been there and done that... and saved it so that I could show off to my friends lol
My cousin's husband would stay up half the night.. or more.. and play star raiders. It was quite a bit of game for it's time.
I got more mileage out of the game than the computer.
Felt so burned that I didn't buy another PC until I bought a 386/20 running Dos 3.11A a few years later.

Upvote 0
Oh man yes. Been there and done that... and saved it so that I could show off to my friends lol
My cousin's husband would stay up half the night.. or more.. and play star raiders. It was quite a bit of game for it's time.
I got more mileage out of the game than the computer.
Felt so burned that I didn't buy another PC until I bought a 386/20 running Dos 3.11A a few years later.
I know someone who used to work with IBM that college was Steve Jobs.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones