• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root In need of a fully working ROM for SPH-L520

VMuser

Oct 7, 2011
A little rant:

For many years I had an Optimus V...Excellent phone, never left me stranded without a phone ( either by battery or signal ). Couple of months ago, I let the 'new car' smell get the best of me and upgraded (read downgraded) to a Samsung S4 mini. My LG ran 2 years without ever shutting off or resetting...the S4 barely makes it 2 or 3 days. The LG ran its little battery 36 + hours...the S4 makes it to 18 or so, my habits have not changed. I'm not a gamer, or a massive texter...In fact I use the phone as a phone, for texting < 500 texts per month and for emails. I was hoping to upgrade the screen, a better camera and still have >30 hrs per battery charge. I just hate to be searching for a plug.

Since I hate the huge screens that every manufacturer is putting out on their current line, my choices were limited, and I choose the Samsung S4 mini. Since buying it, I have come to dislike Samsung in the crappy delivery on a phone that would otherwise be awesome, and their clueless tech support. I have also come to dislike Sprints additional Bloatware, which was not present in my previous phone.

End of rant.

Does anyone have an OS: recovery, ROM, GAPS that will trim all the bloatware and make the phone a reliable phone & PDA? I don't care for launchers, animations or otherwise superfluous add-ons. I am looking for a reliable communications (voice, text, data ) device with a long lasting battery.

Anyone?

Oh yeah...the phone is a Samsung S4 Mini on Sprint SPH-L520.

Anyone?

Thx

A little rant:

For many years I had an Optimus V...Excellent phone, never left me stranded without a phone ( either by battery or signal ). Couple of months ago, I let the 'new car' smell get the best of me and upgraded (read downgraded) to a Samsung S4 mini. My LG ran 2 years without ever shutting off or resetting...the S4 barely makes it 2 or 3 days. The LG ran its little battery 36 + hours...the S4 makes it to 18 or so, my habits have not changed. I'm not a gamer, or a massive texter...In fact I use the phone as a phone, for texting < 500 texts per month and for emails. I was hoping to upgrade the screen, a better camera and still have >30 hrs per battery charge. I just hate to be searching for a plug.

Since I hate the huge screens that every manufacturer is putting out on their current line, my choices were limited, and I choose the Samsung S4 mini. Since buying it, I have come to dislike Samsung in the crappy delivery on a phone that would otherwise be awesome, and their clueless tech support. I have also come to dislike Sprints additional Bloatware, which was not present in my previous phone.

End of rant.

Does anyone have an OS: recovery, ROM, GAPS that will trim all the bloatware and make the phone a reliable phone & PDA? I don't care for launchers, animations or otherwise superfluous add-ons. I am looking for a reliable communications (voice, text, data ) device with a long lasting battery.

Anyone?

Oh yeah...the phone is a Samsung S4 Mini on Sprint SPH-L520.

Anyone?

Thx
EDIT: Here is a AWESOME Looking thread for the SPH-L520 Its CM11! :) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2669991
That sucks for u........ I wish I could help. I got a pre paid SPH-L710T at Radioshack. I reccomend it! It's a Galaxy S3 which doesn't have a huge screen.

Reactions: VMuser
Upvote 0
EDIT: Here is a AWESOME Looking thread for the SPH-L520 Its CM11! :) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2669991
That sucks for u........ I wish I could help. I got a pre paid SPH-L710T at Radioshack. I reccomend it! It's a Galaxy S3 which doesn't have a huge screen.

I followed the instructions on that thread and finally took the plunge and installed CM11 on my GS4 mini; So far it bites. I have not installed anything else on the phone, right now its just a paperweight consuming battery.

Here are the problems I have found so far:

- Cant send MMS because the phone does not believe that there is an APN defined.
- The phone has not gone to sleep because there is a number of wakelocks that is keeping awake ( 1013, mmc1_detect, etc) the Android system reports to have used 56% of my battery.
- Trebuchet has stopped working

I am actually getting discouraged with this phone.

BTW Jerry thank you for the input

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones