• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help In Pocket Problems

SiempreTuna

Android Expert
Jan 11, 2013
Strange one here ..

Sometimes (usually when I've been moving about a bit), when I take my phone from my pocket I discover that it has done something like start the music player, turn on the torch or set do not disturb - basically things that can either be done from the lock screen or from the drag down options on the lock screen.

It would appear that the power button is being pressed in the pocket and then the screen is registering a touch or a drag down and a touch. That all seems kinda plausible (though not so plausible it should happen so often), but I've never come across this issue with a phone in the past. I'm wondering if the fact the power button sticks out so far (much further than on any other phone I've had) makes it more likely to get accidentally pressed.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?

I've had this problem before, but I can't remember which phone or Android version. I discovered it wasn't a power button issue, but when I got a notification, it would unlock the phone and since I always put the phone in my pocket with the screen facing in (against my leg) I'd get random things launching. :thinking:

You can disable lock screen notifications or rearrange the icons on your home screen to see if this helps.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Month-old thread, but I just got the phone.

I noticed that some chair arms would hit the power button on my Nexus 5, even shutting the phone all the way down on occasion. Certain cases may make the problem better or worse. My case for my N5 didn't help since it had a protruding button, but my new N5X case may help since it has cutouts.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones